h2s problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“harvested grapes second week of october. primary fermentation and punch down for 10 days. malolactic fermentation initiated about a month ago. todays tasting revealed h2s smell .”

Let’s get someone else to help you, I know nothing about malolactic fermentation so I can’t help with that.

The first step is to splash rack it, I mean break every “be gentle with your wine” rule. If it is a mild case it will blow off. Next step would be a product called redulees and then if all else fails, copper sulfate. Copper sulfate is the hammer, but must be used with caution as to not leave heavy metals in your wine.

H2S is not something that will go away on its own in my experience, it needs to be addressed and the sooner, the better or else it will deteriorate the wine pass the point of no return.

I’ve used copper sulfate once. It works but you gotta be careful. If you want to try that as a last resort pm me you mailing address and I’ll send you some (as long as it’s in the US)

Back