H2S after MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi-

Just opened my kegs about 6 weeks into MLF and EGGS!? I had clean fruit, added DAP and a good primary fermentation. I wanted a good amount of lees for the LAB and sur lees, but wonder if I over did it?

I've aggressively agitated the wine under vacuum, hoping to draw out the volatile H2S. I've assessed that "aerating" is not for the purpose of a chemical reaction to affect the H2S, simply to let it "blow off."? I'm going to basically carbonate the wine tomorrow under CO2 and shaking to try to coax the H2S out of solution.

If I can't get the eggs to go away I'll be picking up some Reduless for this weekends efforts.

Would really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thnx.

I would definitely hold off on carbonating the wine until you properly deal with your h2s problem.

Here are my suggestions..

1) Rack the wine off of the gross lees. Make it a "splash racking" to try and release as much of the H2S as possible.
2) After racking, add a good dose of k-meta to raise the SO2 levels to 35ppm (minimum).
3) if the problem persists, treat the wine with a dose of redueless. This should definitely help of the issue is persistent.
4) bulk age the wine until it clears, then (if all is well) keg/carbonate it.

I have made champagne in korney kegs several times. If you have H2S issues, then the carbonation will serve to magnify the "Yuk". Trust me.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks. To clarify, I was going to use the CO2 to (super)saturate the liquid, therby forcing the volatile H2S out of solution and then I'd de-gass it again under vacuum. All the books/resources say aerate/splash rack, but I think its just to liberate the gas, as they also warn that excessive aeration will accelerate polymerization and also oxidate. Perhaps I'm overthtinking/complicating things??

No, if you don't get the H2S out quickly which you did not in this case it can bind to the wine and is therefore not volatile which is where the reduless comes into play. You would be wise to do as advised and hold off on kegging until you have fixed the H2S problem.

I think he is trying to say he wants to blow off the H2S with CO2 instead of exposing the wine to air. I would say that is OK, but agree with Mike and John that the wine first needs to be racked off of the lees asap. Blowing off the H2S wont do any good if the lees are still there generating more.

Back