- Oct 10, 2018
- Reaction score
Hello, my first time posting here so forgive me if I miss something. Currently working with a batch of California cab sauvignon, ran into an H2S problem. Splash racked it 2 times and after fumigating the house with sulfur and letting it stand for a week did have noticeable improvement but still heavy H2S I did bench trials with ascorbic and CuSO4 and CuSo4 alone in samples and decided to go with CuSO4 0.3ppm addition, after the initial addition did not match my bench trials I reran my bench trials and decided may have mixed the initial samples and decided to add ascorbic 20ppm. After 3-4 days I did have minor improvement, I decided to go thru it again with first adding ascorbic 40ppm and then adding the CuSO4 0.3ppm 1.35ml in the correct order has been 2 days now and still H2S. I wonder if I should have doubled my dose of CuSO4 on the second round thru? Should I risk splash racking again? I did develop some mercaptan smell on the initial addition of the the CuSO4 alone which the ascorbic did take care of. It has been 8 days since my first addition. My choices at this time are to splash rack #3, wait and give it more time and stir it up, add a third dose of copper 0.3ppm 1.35ml, add wood to try and absorb some off smell (least effective in my mind), try and add a fining agent to the wine. Any thoughts or suggestions?