Guns

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes photos please...
How can you not help but like those old guns. M1's, Ak's all of them have an appeal to the.
Years back I bought an old 8mm Mauser. At a local department store you could buy WWII surplus ammo for $3.50 for 100 rounds.
Every weekend my friend and I would shoot.
No wonder my ears ring.
There may be an additional factor contributing to your ear ringing my friend!:h
:b Steve

Yeah, years of too many saws, big tractors, two strokes and the list goes on. I guess alcohol doesn't help much either, but at least it gets you to where you don't care.:)

I have a S&W 4006 (40 cal), Glock 22 (40 cal), Ruger LCP (380 auto), a 30-30 and 12 guage and the boyfriend is in the military and likes to hunt critters so we basically have enough firepower to survive a zombie attack...

I have a small collection of firearms. It includes the following: A Ruger 30-06 with Leupold Vari-X III, a Lakefield .22, a Marlin semiauto .22, a single shot 20 gauge of indeterminate origin, a 12 gauge Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight, a stainless Ruger GP100 w/ 4" barrel and a Para-Ordnance Tac-Four.

The 30-06 is my deer and bear rifle. The Lakefiled .22 is my small game gun, as is the 12 gauge on occasion. The Ithaca was built in 72 - it really is light, but chambers only 2 3/4" shells. The 20 gauge needs some gunsmithing so it just gathers dust. The Marlin .22 is for plinking cans and such. The GP-100 is a 4" stainless .357 magnum and was a wedding gift from my groomsman (where's the "hick" emoticon...) and the Tac-Four is a stainless commander size 1911 style .45 auto. It's double action but not like anything else on the market. You'd think it's creepy if you weren't paying attention, but that's about it. It holds 13+1 in a double stacked magazine. It's my pet gun, but it's too heavy when loaded to carry comfortably. Also, the double stacked magazine isn't for small hands.

Thanks Wade. That Lakefield .22 is butt ugly. It's got a beech stock with dark mahogany stain and poor lines, pressed checkering...You know the drill. But with Federal ammo in the blue box you can drive nails with it out to 40 yards. Just right for head shots on small game.

I always think that it would be nice to upgrade to something prettier, but never do. It shoots, it was my first gun, and it's already ugly. Why break in another gun? :)

I envy your AR-15 and 9mm. Got to shoot a buddy's 9mm a while back. A .45 isn't hard on you, but a 9mm is just so easy to shoot. And cheap. Same guy's stepmom has a genuine pre-ban Colt AR-15. She doesn't shoot, so God only knows why she bought it, but it's a beauty. I think it's got a collapsible stock but can't remember anything else. Haven't seen it in probably 10 years.

So many people laugh at the thought of a good ole 22. But that is the caliber that has bagged the most game of any round.
I had 22 Ruger semi auto pistol with a 14" bull barrel.
If I propped up on a steady tree or back of a truck bed I could make a beer can dance at 150 yards.
I just wish I had all the money that has ever been spent on 22 ammo.

Hey J Bullard

I am intrigued by your knife collection. What kind of tools do you use to make all those knives from old lawn mower blades? I'm guessing maybe a table grinder. At least you're recycling. I never thought about doing that with old lawn mower blades.

Mitch

Last edited:
So many people laugh at the thought of a good ole 22.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. 22 is a great cal for plinking around but I, personally, prefer a little more "stopping power" when I pull my weapon.

All my training has been "shoot until the threat is neutralized" (in other words "shoot til it don't move"). You'd better believe that when I pull my weapon, I feel it is necessary and I want my firearm to do the job right.

I can see how some people could find that a 22 could make a "good" concealed carry weapon for personal protection for them (I am still on the hunt for the "perfect" conceal carry).

Without getting all political in the right to life and gun control and all the different directions this convo could go... I just wanted to say that while I do see the purpose that a 22 can serve, many people (myself included) want a caliber that is more effective for self protection.

I just wanted to say that while I do see the purpose that a 22 can serve, many people (myself included) want a caliber that is more effective for self protection.

I agree. My ol '06 cartridges can protect me from 800 yards! :r

As far as .22, my uncle accidentally shot me once with a .22 short when we were out screwing around. Although it didn't penetrate my leather jacket completely, the darn thing hurt bad! So yeah, they can be dangerous.

Wade
My daily carry is a Kimber Tactical II 45. The mrs carries a 380 Walther. You never know when you might need it.

i've shot a 9 mm many times. it's pretty accurate. we used to practice hitting 5 cans @ 50 yards in succession. my dad, a "sniper" rated army marksman (30 yrs ago, lol), could knock them all down easily. usually with less than 10 shots. i would have just a few left if that (clips 15 with 1 chambered), but we only allowed enough time to flatten the barrel before the next round.

props for the AR's as those will become more and more rare!

Wade
My daily carry is a Kimber Tactical II 45.

I've never shot an aluminum frame 1911. My father has the heavy steal frame version which I found rather cool for a single action traditional style. Do you find it difficult to target multiple shots quickly with the recoil?

I've hunted with .22 cal up to my last hunting rifle was a 7mm Rem. Mag. I agree stopping power is the deciding factor. I wouldn't want to go up against a grizzly or moose with a .22, even with the yellowjacket hyper velocity rounds.
But for most of the things we have around here, there have a lot of tables set with the .22.
And when it's needed, it's very quite. :h

So many people laugh at the thought of a good ole 22. But that is the caliber that has bagged the most game of any round.
I had 22 Ruger semi auto pistol with a 14" bull barrel.
If I propped up on a steady tree or back of a truck bed I could make a beer can dance at 150 yards.
I just wish I had all the money that has ever been spent on 22 ammo.
I have my own little collection, but one of my favorites is a Ruger 10/22, folding stock, 4x scope and a 30 rd clip. It looks pretty intimidating...and it is. With very little practice it will put 10 rounds in a 5 inch circle at 15 feet in under under 3 seconds...fired instinctively. That's ten .22 inch holes and about 400 grains of lead in an area the size of your hand...and 20 rounds left in reserve. (If you do the math, that's 2 1/4" of hole in a 5" circle!)
The 9mm, 380 and .357 Mag are all pretty much the same: .35x inch diameter and 125-158 gr bullet. Even a 44 Mag is .45 inch diameter, and 250 grains. Kinetic energy is the only thing distinguishing them. The other thing distinguishing them is the inherent inaccuracy of a handgun in unsteady hands attempting rapid fire.
Just to ward off any undo comments, let me say I hunt deer and elk with a 300 H&H Mag, and also hunt deer with a Ruger Blackhawk. But if my cabin was burning down and I could only grab one survival weapon, it would be that .22 LR and 10 pounds of ammo. I'd feel pretty confident in any situation, including being able to feed myself with rabbit, or deer.

my cousin killed a deer with a 22-250 @ 217 yds throught the eye. nothing like seeing a dead deer with only 1 eye out and no exit. got alot of redneck family. he built the gun? is that common with other calibers? they also pack their own rounds with a higher quality grain and with the amount of powder they like. seems a little much to me.

i deer hunt with a .270 bolt action. first kills, 3 shots, first shot at 170 yd, way high left? with an aim on 2" high heart standing still broad side? scope way out. aim at rear knees, heart shot. 2nd doe. angled towards @ 30, shot off to low right, hit 4" high of heart>lungs>spine>out lower back. All shots fired >10 seconds. wait for sundown (30 min) and me up with my dad. he asked if i was just shooting wildly at a running deer. i said i got 2. "really", "yep". both fell right where they stood. even a .270 will leave a fist sized hole on exit.

my cousin killed a deer with a 22-250 @ 217 yds throught the eye. nothing like seeing a dead deer with only 1 eye out and no exit. got alot of redneck family. he built the gun? is that common with other calibers? they also pack their own rounds with a higher quality grain and with the amount of powder they like. seems a little much to me.
I hand load all my own ammunition, to my own preferences. We hunt with a 22/250, and the heaviest bullet weight in factory loads is 55 gr. (Only 15 gr more than a .22 LR!) I load a 70 gr SP. In the field, the difference is obvious.

i deer hunt with a .270 bolt action. first kills, 3 shots, first shot at 170 yd, way high left? with an aim on 2" high heart standing still broad side? scope way out. aim at rear knees, heart shot. 2nd doe. angled towards @ 30, shot off to low right, hit 4" high of heart>lungs>spine>out lower back. All shots fired >10 seconds. wait for sundown (30 min) and me up with my dad. he asked if i was just shooting wildly at a running deer. i said i got 2. "really", "yep". both fell right where they stood. even a .270 will leave a fist sized hole on exit.
There's a lot to be said for visiting the target range before each season. ;)

Latest posts

Back