GSM, with no Syrah, what would be a good substitute?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I promised the Mrs. that I will make a barrel of GSM this year. It will be heavy in Mourvèdre, thinking 65-70% I have a good line on the Mourvedre grapes; I will be tending to the vines I’ll be making the wine out of. There is a small private vineyard that has Grenache and I think I can get a hundred pounds (10%). That leaves 10-15 gallons for Syrah, but I don’t have a good source, nor have I particularly liked the Syrah I have made in previous years. Thinking of a good substitute, that would still leave me with a similar GSM flavor profile.

Here is what I can get, in order of availability:
- Cab Franc
- Petit Verdot
- Petite Sirah
- Cab Sauv
- Merlot
- Zin

Any thoughts?
30B8385B-4AD5-4144-BAC1-BF47338FF5DF.jpeg

I promised the Mrs. that I will make a barrel of GSM this year. It will be heavy in Mourvèdre, thinking 65-70% I have a good line on the Mourvedre grapes; I will be tending to the vines I’ll be making the wine out of. There is a small private vineyard that has Grenache and I think I can get a hundred pounds (10%). That leaves 10-15 gallons for Syrah, but I don’t have a good source, nor have I particularly liked the Syrah I have made in previous years. Thinking of a good substitute, that would still leave me with a similar GSM flavor profile.

- Cab Franc
- Petit Verdot
- Petite Sirah
- Cab Sauv
- Merlot
- Zin

Any thoughts?
View attachment 70895
If you could find the source, PV or PS would be my blending choice, though I might try to change the quantity of Syrah to reduce the amount of PS or PV.

I did one in 2019 that is PSM where the P is Primitivo. It’s good enough. And the P was a good substitute for G.

The lack of Syrah is tough because it has so much tannin and depth of flavor. I might try petite Sirah. That would give the tannin and most of the flavor.

Thanks. My inclination was PS and backing off on the % as @Johnd said. GPSM? I do think the flavor profile of PV is more fruity and less spicy mid palate than a PS, so maybe I’ll make a little of each so I can do one or the other or maybe a blend of the two. Thinking out loud, make a carboy of Grenache, PS, PV and a barrel of Mourvedre and do the blending at the end. I guess that would push the Ved % even higher, but I’m ok with that.

Thanks. My inclination was PS and backing off on the % as @Johnd said. GPSM?

Another idea on the name: You could call the Petit Sirah by its French name Durif, and call it a GDM. Saying "goddamn that is good" while drinking would be appropriate.

- Cab Franc
- Petit Verdot
- Petite Sirah
- Cab Sauv
- Merlot
- Zin

Any thoughts?
View attachment 70895
I would go with Petit Syrah as it's related to Syrah.

I have a similar but different problem, Mourvedre is hard to get around here so I'm looking for a replacement M. My plan was to use Merlot. But with regard to your post I agree with PV or PS.
I’ve made a barrel of Mourvedre and Merlot. I would agree with you that they have a similar taste profile.

Latest posts

Back