Other Gruner Veltliner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
I would like to make a wine similar to a Gruner Veltliner, but there are no kits of this varietal. Have any if you found any kit which may be similar, even if a few tweaks are needed?

I would like to make a wine similar to a Gruner Veltliner, but there are no kits of this varietal. Have any if you found any kit which may be similar, even if a few tweaks are needed?
Pretty much any German white wine would be okay or close in style. Riesling etc.

A Gruner and a Riesling taste nothing alike unless you think all white wine or all red wine taste alike. With that said Kit wines taste quite a bit alike to many people (me included). CellarCraft had a Showcase series Gruner about 5 years ago. I made it and while it was pretty good it was kind of a disappointment compared to a $10 1L bottle of commercial Gruner. What was missing? The acid. A Gruner should explode in your mouth with zing on the tongue (acid) as well as tons of flavors like lime, lemon and grapefruit, white pepper. A quick google and I found one online. No idea how old the kit is or when they stopped making it. Or if that link is ay good or legit. If you snag one I would tweak the pH down as needed to 3.1-3.2 range to get that pop of acid on the tongue.

http://thebrewoutlet.com/items/showcase-austrian-gruner-veltliner-cellar-craft-wine-kit

Totally agree with ibglowin . . . Gruner should be acidic and full of dry fruit flavor. We have a few local wineries that consistently do a nice job with it. I think it would be very difficult to find a kit that would come close to the real thing.

However, I like the tip about reducing the acid in the must to get that extra zing that might be missing from a standard kit must. I'll be testing my Riesling kit before I kick it off this weekend.

A Gruner and a Riesling taste nothing alike unless you think all white wine or all red wine taste alike. With that said Kit wines taste quite a bit alike to many people (me included). CellarCraft had a Showcase series Gruner about 5 years ago. I made it and while it was pretty good it was kind of a disappointment compared to a $10 1L bottle of commercial Gruner. What was missing? The acid. A Gruner should explode in your mouth with zing on the tongue (acid) as well as tons of flavors like lime, lemon and grapefruit, white pepper. A quick google and I found one online. No idea how old the kit is or when they stopped making it. Or if that link is ay good or legit. If you snag one I would tweak the pH down as needed to 3.1-3.2 range to get that pop of acid on the tongue.

http://thebrewoutlet.com/items/showcase-austrian-gruner-veltliner-cellar-craft-wine-kit
The acidity you are mentioning reminds me of picpoul Blanc which is literally known for having such high acidity that it's called lip stinger.

Latest posts

Back