GRRRRRRR.another guy with a bung in the wine..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi folks, well title says it all. Went out today and bought one of those hand held vacuum pumps to try it on my first batch, had it on there for a while pumping away , watching all the bubbles rushing to the top but wasn;t paying attention to the bung and lo and behold it was down in the neck GRRRRRRRR couldn't get it out so i pushed it in and sanitized my primary and splash racked into it. Tried the plastic bag in the bottle trick and it worked on the first try lol, so i washed and rinsed the carboy and sanitized the carboy and splash racked back into it. what a crazy couple hours i had going nuts, driving around looking for xtra bungs lol until it hit me to just rack it

hi folks, well title says it all. Went out today and bought one of those hand held vacuum pumps to try it on my first batch, had it on there for a while pumping away , watching all the bubbles rushing to the top but wasn;t paying attention to the bung and lo and behold it was down in the neck GRRRRRRRR couldn't get it out so i pushed it in and sanitized my primary and splash racked into it. Tried the plastic bag in the bottle trick and it worked on the first try lol, so i washed and rinsed the carboy and sanitized the carboy and splash racked back into it. what a crazy couple hours i had going nuts, driving around looking for xtra bungs lol until it hit me to just rack it

L@@K @ the top of the bung. There should be number. Get the next size higher so that will not happen again. Also, when putting the bung in its best if the bung is dry.

I read this and just started to laugh..

what is it with you guys and bungs this week?

heheheh ( shakes head and wanders off....)

Allie :hug

You all should go get yourself som multifit silicone bungs, they will not fall into your carboys!

Rich, Thats all I use. They work very well for me and don't pop out. I use the regular ones and also the solid for my empty carboys with kmeta in them.

hey guys
so i've been degassing my batch since tuesday and was wondering how long does it or can it take to degass a 6 gallon batch, its a batch of cabernet sauvignon

Don't you sleep? :slp
How are you degassing? 2-3 minutes should do most degassing, leave it, do again when racking.
Why are you degassing so long? Is this a kit? Is the wine dry .990?

i'm degassing with a fizz x and a hand vacuum pump and also shaking the carboy. Its a cabernet sauvignon kit and it says to degass for 5 days and everytime i shake the carboy theres always gas and it says i shouldn't move to the clearing stage until all gas is gone

sometime or almost always beginner mistake bobbles when shaking as CO2. You are probably mixing air from airspace back in. Don't keep doing that, it is not good. Sleeping is overrated:h

so how does a beginner know when its been degassed if its still making bubbles when its agitated. If the fermentation lock is not resting on the stem doesn't it mean that theres still CO2 in the wine? I do see different size of bubbles like some of you mention and i see the same kinds of bubbles all the time. They start off small when i shake the carboy but when i use the vacuum pump there alot bigger in size. I need a glass of wine just thinking about all this stuff lol

i tried again by shaking the carboy and it bubbled a little and i let it sit for a bit, then with the degassing tool and this time i couldn't get any sort of bubbles at all,maybe its all gassed out

If you have a vacuum pump then hopefully you have a gauge on that. I stop degassin when I can hold about 17" for about a 1/2 hour.

I have one of those wine bottle vacuum pumps, no gauge is attached. If this batch comes out good then maybe in the future i'll get some better tools

I really like the milti-fit bungs. They actually end up being a bit cheaper locally and I like the way they hold up. Easy to get in and easy to get out I don't even have to worry about snapping off my air lock. :br

Latest posts

Back