Growing season is just around the corner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer

Future vineyard owner
Reaction score
So.... Has anybody else had a chance to do a winter damage assessment on their vines and or their fruit trees/plants used for making wine from?

All my vines look like they made thru winter for me with no major winter kill or die back so far. Got over half the vines pruned back today. Only marquette seems to be the only vines that are flowing sap so far(thank god). I still need another month plus before I get past the possibility of frost damage if budbreak starts too soon on me. How about the rest you growers out there. How's it looking for you folks?

My Black Currant bushes didnt bud or at least havent yet so its not looking good over here. It may just be that its really thetre first year here as when I retreived them they were already full of buds for last year and the move has set them back. I hope they recover or Ill be heart broken! :( I dont care if they dont produce this year but sure dont want to lose them!!!!!!

Little early for me but hoping things made it through this first Winter. We got down to -19 one morning! I have 40 vines total of Marquette, Noiret, Coret Noir......

My ground dried out alittle bit 2 days ago so I was able to clip some of the tops out of each of my vine types and check for winter kill off or not. My low this winter was only -11ºF so I was worried about the valvin muscat, and auxerrois. All of the vines showed nothing but live buds on just about everything I checked. :D Today I got home and started pruning the vines. Like I said before the marquette are the only ones flowing sap on me so far.

Wade, its been over 20 years since I had currants here in my garden but if I remember correctly they would break bud around the last frost date for me around here.

just finished pruning 500 Brianna grape vines, wow what a job!!! about 60 hours, not to much winter dye back, sap is flowing

pruned the pears. blueberry bushes are good and the mini strawberry patch looks ok.

Latest posts

Back