Growing grapevines from cuttings, suckering and trainning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello from México,

I grew some cuttings at the end of January, and put them in big pots two weeks ago, they are fine, growing good, (one has potassium deficiency but i will add fertilizer)

My doubth is, when i start to train the vine, i want to use California Sprawl system.

Should i wait until next year? Or should i start right now?

Cheers!
Arturo.

IMG_20170714_160038.jpg

Welcome Arturo!

Conventional wisdom is to let them grow however they want the first year and develop a good root system. Start next Spring with your trellis training.

Looking good Arturo! Just train a single shoot up a stick, I use 5mm bamboo, this year. As Mike says, it is all about roots the first year, or two. Once it is tall enough, you can train to the wire.

Thank you Mike, so next dormant season between January-March i must dont prune or cut anything? Until next spring only?

Looking good Arturo! Just train a single shoot up a stick, I use 5mm bamboo, this year. As Mike says, it is all about roots the first year, or two. Once it is tall enough, you can train to the wire.

Hello Johny, thank you, when you say that i should train just one shoot, do you mean that i can do it right now?

I share another pictures.

IMG_20170724_111117.jpg

IMG_20170724_111040.jpg

Hello Johny, thank you, when you say that i should train just one shoot, do you mean that i can do it right now?

I share another pictures.

I'd be inclined to pinch off the two lower shoots and train the top one up a stick as it grows. I tie mine loosely with florists tape or electrical tape every 10cm or so. I'd leave the second one down just in case you break the top one:h, voice of experience:slp

I'd be inclined to pinch off the two lower shoots and train the top one up a stick as it grows. I tie mine loosely with florists tape or electrical tape every 10cm or so. I'd leave the second one down just in case you break the top one:h, voice of experience:slp

I will have to get florist tape i think is esiear to handle than electrical ones

Latest posts

Back