GROWING GRAPE CUTTINGS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rshosted said:
NW, those look like some happy little fellows. Good job. First let me start by saying you are my new idol. I'm all about growing your own grapes. I can't imagine being more fulfilled with starting something from the picking to the drinking... especially the drinking!
smiley36.gif
OK.

Questions:1. When you started were your vine cuttings dormant?

A....Yes dormant....these best cuttings were taken in Oct, the ones I took in Nov didn't root as well, even tho the stems had alot of green inside them....I have never callused the ends as it says in this Site

http://www.bunchgrapes.com/cuttings.html

I have had very good luck rooting green vines during the summer, remove all the leaves and tendrils.

2. When they are covered by a plastic bag how often did you have to water them?

A.....Keep an eye on them, depending on the heat, put your finger in the soil, water from the bottom in a plastic tray or deep saucer. There will be moisture on the inside of the bag. Remove any vines that get moldy or dry, they will not root. Once there is alot of green leaves lift the bag a bit for a few days, remove it gradually so the plants get use to the drier conditions.

3. What temperature did you keep them at (when covered)?

A...... Mine are pretty warm, I worried about them being too warm. They are in a laundry room next room has a wood burning furnace. In the summer they are out in a small greenhouse, real hot in there.

4. is there a reason you chose 'white light' over full spectrum plant and aquarium bulbs (just convienice or doesn't really matter)?(since I just spent $20 on just two bulbs
smiley19.gif
)

A.....The cool white bulbs are about $2 each, they will last awhile, or till the ends of the bulbs get a grey tint, [you've all seen that on florescent tubes]...then I replace them. Keep the tubes dust free....mine are in a laundry room and get very dusty] I burn them pretty intensely in winter on rose, shrub and flower cuttings, [this year grape cuttings] then from Feb to April with my garden seeds/plants, like....peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, flowers, melons, etc. The cool white bulbs give the light needed to grow green plants, tho I have had violets bloom nicely, when you add full spectrum you can grow lovely tropicals....I know nothing about the full spectrum bulbs.

5. when you do a community pot, is it hard to separate them? I am worried if my kids ever grow they will be one big mess of roots and I will harm them trying to separate them...

A.....Mine were all grown together...just kind of shake them apart, Yes....you tear some roots, but they recover well. Water the potted plants from the bottom as well, till they are big guys.

6. When you move them outside do you plan to do anything special? I've read a little that they can't handle sunlight right away.Sorry for all the questions, but I am completely un-experienced when it comes to this.

A......Yes, you have to introduce the plant to the 'real-world' of sunlight gradually. Put them in a sunny south window for awhile before you put them outside, then a shady spot out side, then full sun, keep them moist once they are in full sun, then plant them in a nursery area or where they will grow. Plants grown indoors under lights are very tender and slow sunshine-introduction is necessary.

Have fun, worth a try....
smiley17.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back