Grow tube questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
First, do you pinch back to 2-3 buds before you put the grow tube on?

Second, some of my vines are "Y" shaped with one or more wide branch angles. I don't see them fitting comfortably in the grow tube. Do you prune back? Cram them in the tube?

I can get pics if needed...

If the vine as planted has so many canes that you have a hard time getting the grow tube, imagine that vine after having the buds open and new shoots growing. The couple times I used grow tubes I pruned the vine back to one or two canes and trimmed those back before planting and putting the tubes on.

Some follow up grow tube questions:

1. Many of my vines have blooms. I understand these need to be pinched off this first year. Any tips for doing that when the blooms are down inside the tube?
2. Lots of tips on my vines are getting eaten. Today I found a bunch of junebug beetles on some of them. Should the vines be sprayed? If so, how exactly do you do that with the grow tubes?

Last edited:
I have found the few time I tried grow tubes that the flowers did not set very well inside the tubes so weren't a big issue. As far as spray control inside the tube, just put the sprayer nozzle end close enough to give it a quick shot inside. If it is just a few ragged leaf edges you are better off to not spray. Save the beneficial insects. If they are being defoliated by insects, then give them a quick spray.

I appreciate the reply Grapeman. I wasn't too worried about leaf margins, but these guys have knocked back the growing shoots pretty badly in some cases. I will do a quick spray today.

Latest posts

Back