Grow Cuttings in Field for Later Transplant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSun

Gardener
Reaction score
I have some rooted grape cuttings that I need to keep for possible replacement or expansion. I just like to hear about your experience.

How is the spacing? I believe they can be planted very closely, like 1' within row and 2' between rows?

Do you prune them? Or just let them grow and try to grow the best roots. Any attempt to train them?

When you dig and replant them, do you cut down all the way to 2 buds?

Since this is on-site transplanting, not bare root and no shipping, I believe the plants preserve better than nursery bare root plants.

How many years do you think that these cuttings will be growing in their spot?
I ask because grapes have very large and complex root systems, and i don't believe that they transplant all that well. i wouldn't want to try to transplant any vines that have been in a spot for more than a year.
That being said, this might be a common practice in vineyards, if it is then someone else with more of that experience will have to guide you.
when i work with grapevines at work we plant them into larger pots and grow them like that. what i have done in the past for plants that i haven't decided the location, or if they need a specific soil is to plant them in a large pot, say a true gallon or larger, and then plant the whole pot in the ground so that the soil in the pot is level with the ground. that way i can move it when i need, and the plant gets protected., but even with this i wouldn't leave them too many years, the roots will start coming out the bottom and you will never get the pot up!
hope this helped! :)

This is just like the nurseries growing their plants to sell later. I've seen them planting on paper, etc. But do not know the details.

Most likely this is only for no more than one year.

Field growing take much less work than growing in pots.

Back