ground cherry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is a fruit that part of the tomato family it has a pineapple flavor with a hint of tomato

Interesting! If it leans more towards a pineapple taste it might be really good. I'm not sure about the tomato. I'll defer to someone who may have tried making it then. I guess if no one replies, you might try a one gallon batch just to experiment.

Interesting! If it leans more towards a pineapple taste it might be really good. I'm not sure about the tomato. I'll defer to someone who may have tried making it then. I guess if no one replies, you might try a one gallon batch just to experiment.
[/QUOTE ]that is my hope that the pine apple would come threw i have a gal of berries and more coming in everyday

2019 sample. Flavor: low acid like pH 5 fruit, not very aromatic, low sweetness like 1.03, approx 1 cm round berry

I have them because the garden center gave away trial packets, my guess is there are several varieties since as a kid I remember a yellow one inch fruit, acid flavor like pH 4, juicy like tomato, light fruity flavor, sweet like 1.03

My Grandma had some ground cherry plants growing up. They made delicious pies but they were a lot of work as each little cherry had to have the husks taken off. She would mix them with apples for the pies and that is still my favorite. Definitely no longer tasted like an apple pie with them included. They have very small seeds like blueberries. Hers were about 1/2" diameter. If you get enough to make wine I'd go for it and report back!

my 2020 ground cherry juice had,, pH 3.86, TA 2.62%, a thick syrup with a sweetness similar to 1.060 (did not run grav., too thick), fruity, hard to put a similar to “X“ flavor on it.
2019 sample. Flavor: low acid like pH 5 fruit, not very aromatic, low sweetness like 1.03, approx 1 cm round berry

I have them because the garden center gave away trial packets, my guess is there are several varieties since as a kid I remember a yellow one inch fruit, acid flavor like pH 4, juicy like tomato, light fruity flavor, sweet like 1.03

Last edited:
found a fruit which is similar to what I remember as a kid in the woods picking ground cherries, lots of small seeds/ unusual fruity flavor, under an inch and round. ,, The web name for it was Peruvian ground cherry (golden berries)
5584EC45-392D-464E-917C-BF2205F58CF5.jpeg
gravity . . 1.069
pH . . . . . 3.69
TA . . . . . .1.78%
easy to freeze and produce a clean juice

Sold of late as pineapple tomatillo. Google pineapple tomatillo and find the seed companies that carry. I love them but never have enough to make wine. The germination was hit or miss. Of late I just go with the volunteer; I usually have several every year. Maybe next year I'll try planting again and freeze to make a batch of wine.

well I still have a good two gal in the freezer that i need to get out was waiting for turkeyday to be over. when I will need the room for the hog that is about to go in.

Latest posts

Back