Grommet Problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsipn

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I have a new batch of Finer Wine Pinot Noir started. Get it all mixed in my bucket, put the lid on, go to put the airlock in and the grommet pushes through the hole and yo the bottom of the bucket. So, I have no way of actually sealing the bucket. I’m punching down every day and it’s fermenting very well. But, as fermentation starts to subside, I really wish I could have it sealed up. Any ideas? I might try a rubber band around the airlock.

I’m assuming these grummets are pretty standard and can just buy them and replace it.

Not a big deal if I have to buy a whole new bucket but, obviously would like to be as cheap as possible.

As a temporary solution, I suggest wrapping the stem of the airlock with several layers of duct tape. With the positive pressure in the bucket, you should have no problem. A more permanent solution would be to drill out the hole in the top so that you can insert an airlock in a stopper.

No idea whether this MIGHT create a problem, but I would be wary about leaving any rubber grommet at the bottom of my fermenter for any length of time. Do you have a second bucket you could rack this wine into while you fish out the grommet? If folks on this forum don't consider the grommet macerating in the wine as anything to be concerned about then I have no issue. I simply do not know whether the rubber might add unexpected flavor notes..

Same thing happened to me on my first batch of kit wine. I just put something over the hole in the lidand let it ferment away. After I racked to a carboy for the "secondary" fermentation, I just retrieved the grommet from the bottom of the bucket and put it back onto the lid. Still using the same grommet, so don't worry about it. It will only be in the bucket for about a week.

After that first batch, I learned on this forum that I didn't really even need the airlock for the primary fermentation, Just to leave the lid loosely on the bucket. I still put something over the hole in the lid just so no fruit flies will wander into the bucket.

I have a whole bunch of #3’s. Very handy. I first bought them for Belgian ale bottles when I wanted to culture the yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Back in my brewing days.

Latest posts

Back