Greetings wine world, from south france.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayH

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Clay, I am filmmaker and photographer from the US who came to south france two years ago to take an artist residency that was offered from a winery, Chateau Castigno. In exchange I produced a film series to promote their wines. Long story short I fell in love with the vines, the wine and region overall...was a nice change of pace after hustling in NYC for 7 years so I decided to lay down some roots myself.

I got so absorbed into the wine world here that it resulted
in the crazy idea to buy a small piece of property and take a shot at producing wine myself. Here is a pic from property.

lavenderdreams.jpg

I am no expert, but like my work in film...I surround myself with pros and just learn as much as I can every day which is why I have come to this forum, hoping to meet people and learn from others as well as share my own experience...the good, the bad, the ugly. :b

clay2cv.jpg

Cheers, look forward sharing more.

Last edited:
Welcome to WMT!

Is any of your film work on YouTube or Vimeo? Is that you in the second photo?

Welcome. Thank you for sharing. I have often thought of traveling to France. I look forward to hearing more about your likes and dislikes about your new home. I am guessing your vineyard was already planted when you acquired it. What grapes are planted there?

Congrats on the property in FRANCE! Please share your progress. I would love to leave the corporate world and start a vineyard and winery.

Hi and welcome.

Thank you for sharing the videos and pictures...I look forward to seeing more.

The wannabe homesteader in me wants to know if you are going to build a place to live on the property. Will you be growing any other produce?

Hello! Yes, thats me in the photo...was celebrating with a friend on the new property with a little muscat. :)

Here is a sample of my film work
https://vimeo.com/32388102

and another clip from the wine promotion work I mentioned in the original post
https://vimeo.com/48560715

Hello again Clay...

Just finished watching the two vids. :br I'm very impressed. I believe everyone here on WMT would particularly enjoy the second video.

Last edited:
Hello Clay,

Did you buy property near Toulouse? I see that is your location. If so, how easy/difficult was that?

I am actually next to St Chinian...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Chinian

Known for its wine, has its own AOC (one I would like to enter if possible, many stepping stones on the road before I arrive there)

My neighbor had a small parcel of land and I heard it was for sale through word of mouth, something i hear happens a lot around here...although its more rare, I have seen "for sale signs" on properties before.

There is also a notary service in france, they have all properties registered for vines and I bet they would know which of their clients would be selling or not.

This same notary service is required for buying property, they are the middle man between you and the seller. Like everything in france, there is a bunch of papers and documents involved but it was surprisingly simple...so far. There is fees for this notary service, and taxes involved that vary depending on how much land your buying.

Another thing to note, before any foreign is authorized to buy a vineyard, the region and agriculturist must be notified that this property is for sale...giving locals the opportunity to buy the property before you. In my experience and others who have bought here, its never been an issue but the process takes a few months before you get the green light.

Hope that answers your question but you can feel free to contact me if you want to dive deeper into details.

Wow, great thread! Seems like you are living the life. Perhaps one of these days I might have my own small piece of land in France as well.

Welcome. Thank you for sharing. I have often thought of traveling to France. I look forward to hearing more about your likes and dislikes about your new home. I am guessing your vineyard was already planted when you acquired it. What grapes are planted there?

Hello Jethro,

Correct, the vineyard had already had vines planted about 12 years ago, they are pretty young but coming to a nice mature age i believe....I am pleased so far. I have about 65% Shiraz and 35 percent Grenache.

I also have another small parcel of chardonnay planted but it has been less cared for and a bit savage so I am considering having it grafted with more Grenache....thats another topic on its own and something i dont know much about.

The region is breathtakingly beautiful, not to mention one of the largest wine producing regions in the world (the largest I think)...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languedoc-Roussillon

Languedoc has a bit of a wild history with wine and becoming quite popular today...known for sunny wines, big, spicy, herbs, red fruits and quite strong. The food here is also a big plus, I would say about 90% of what i consume comes local....farm to fork and purchased in farmers markets. Did I mention the cheese?

Wow, great thread! Seems like you are living the life. Perhaps one of these days I might have my own small piece of land in France as well.

Cheers, happy for the response in this community and careful what you wish for...like my mother always said, you might just get it. ;)

I am a firm believer in the power of thought.

Hi and welcome.

Thank you for sharing the videos and pictures...I look forward to seeing more.

The wannabe homesteader in me wants to know if you are going to build a place to live on the property. Will you be growing any other produce?

Thanks wannabe homesteader, happy you enjoyed. Yes, indeed i have plans to build a yurt on the on the property in the vines.

Will be a place for me to stay in the summer when i am working with the vines...something like this would work well.

8-4-redkite.jpg

Regarding other produce, I will probably reserve a small garden for herbs, and one for strawberries. I just like strawberries.

I am focusing my efforts on the wine for now and hoping to get a small winery off the ground so i can be sustaining and producing every summer...easier said then done!

I do have plans of making honey on site but thats down the road...1st I need to get back to filmmaking so i can finance some more winemaking. I am sort of figuring this all out as i go.

Correct, the vineyard had already had vines planted about 12 years ago, they are pretty young but coming to a nice mature age i believe....I am pleased so far. I have about 65% Shiraz and 35 percent Grenache.

Is Rhone varietals typical of the area?

I also have another small parcel of chardonnay planted but it has been less cared for and a bit savage

How very French :)

I looked at real estate two years ago in Paris. I think my heart stopped on viewing the prices and I live in Silicon Valley. But a small patch of land in France and a slower pace of living sounds absolutely wonderful.

Paris is another ballgame, hell its not even the same sport in terms of cost. generic figure is about 10,000 euros per hector in my region. What worked for me was the owner was selling just half a hector which was a good starting place for me.

Silicon valley is quite beautiful itself no? I need to spend more time in northern cali and hopefully I will this next year.

And a deux chevaux to boot! Classic.

Yes, I have a weak spot for the french classic...you can find them everywhere here and pretty affordable, at least you could. I noticed the prices are shooting up. I love my 2cV and its perfect for driving around vineyards....best suspension in the world, its like floating on a mechanic cloud!

my2cv2013.jpg

This is the more scenic route to my vines.

2cvroad.jpg

Back