Greetings Sherry makers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the many years that I have been making wine, I was always afraid to try sherry as it involves several extra steps in the secondary fermentaion stage. After the first batch, (which was as drinkable as paint thinner), I tried a few experiments which paid off handsomely. From the kit variety of sherry, during the secondary fermantation, I used corn sugar/ H20 to make a simple syrup instead of regular table sugar. I bring this to a slow boil to partially caramalize it
which enhances both flavour and gives it a nice colour. I also use this when finishing to achieve the sweetness desired. The result is a nice rich nutty flavour and a lovely golden brown hue. All of my friends prefer my homemade stuff to the more expensive liquor store bought. Give it a try

Welcome and great to have someone on board that has some
expertise most of us do not have (I think) : sherry

Please tell us if you made sherry from scratch or just from
kit's

Luc

I will be doing this very soon. The directions to one of the kits I have says to add the corn sugar solution to the secondary. Also, welcome to the forums.

Back