Greetings from the Niagara Wine Trail

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewOrleans

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I just joined the forum a few minutes ago. Last year, I bought a zone 6a, 2.6 acre, Orleans County farm that was established in 1850 but left to disrepair for quite some time. I've spent the last year renovating the house and structures, as well as prepping the soil. This spring, I am going to plant a mini-50 vine vineyard with half wine (traminette, riesling, vidal blanc) and half table grapes (concord, marquis, reliance). I will also be planting cherries, apples, asian pears, blueberries, black berries, raspeberries, kiwi, 20 varieties of heirloom tomatoes, a pumpkin patch and several other vegetables. We are going to try to avoid using agro-chemical methods, but this depends on what we encounter.

I've joined the board to learn more about stewarding the land, good varietals for my area and to share if appropriate. I have only made mead and sparkling meads in the past, but am looking forward to making some crisp, fruit forward and spicey whites.

Welcome to the forum NewOrleans! You have some good ambitious goals there. Good luck with the fruit and grapes. When going full steam, you will be able to make a nice selection of wines.

Welcome NewOrleans. This is a great place to share and pick up tips. Keep us posted as you progress with the vines. Have you considered started with some kits in the mean time?

Thanks everyone! I am picking up over 100 8' trellis posts today and will get them in the ground as soon as weather permits. It is going to be an adventure establishing everything this year!

Are u from Orleans Ontario?

JJ: I am in Orleans County, NY on Lake Ontario!

Attached is the companion planting, trellis and deer fencing plan I will be putting into action in April... I am in zone 6a. Do any of you more experienced members have any suggestions or thoughts about this plan for me? Thanks for your imput!

2013 planting aerial edit.jpg

Latest posts

Back