Greetings from the Capital Region of NY, Albany NY.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzabron

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Jon.

I'm 27 Originally from Buffalo, NY. I've moved my way out West to SLC, UT, down South to Birmingham, AL, and back up North to Albany, NY.

I'm a Geologist by degree and have been working as a mining engineer now for four years. I'm currently employed by an explosives company that offers our services blasting in open pit mines around NY, NJ, and PA.

I'm just trying my hand at wine-making. My brother currently is into brewing beer and my Uncle has been making reds for 30+ years. I'm pulling in a bit of my uncles wisdom as well as a few technical edges learned by my brother.

I look forward to starting my first must here this week (Hope I can regulate the temperature properly).

I've been lurking for a week or so now reading all of the stickies and posts. It's a great community and I look forward to being a part of it.

Welcome to the forum, Jon. Sounds like you have some good local support and we can fill in the holes. Just a suggestion, Chilean and other Southern Hemisphere region juices will be available shortly. You might consider trying a bucket of juice to get you started.

Another person from my fine neck of the woods!
Welcome!

enjoy the journey!
:br

Welcome to the forum, Jon. Sounds like you have some good local support and we can fill in the holes. Just a suggestion, Chilean and other Southern Hemisphere region juices will be available shortly. You might consider trying a bucket of juice to get you started.

Rocky, Looks like Gabriel's is stocking up already.. here's the circular for this week:

http://www.gabfoods.com/flyers.php?id=211&image=4

@JohnT: No worrying about that! :se :)

Welcome, Jon!

I'm currently employed by an explosives company that offers our services blasting in open pit mines around NY, NJ, and PA.

Sounds like you have some good local support and we can fill in the holes.

Umm, maybe not in this case! ;)

Welcome, Jon!
Umm, maybe not in this case! ;)

Bravo! That was well played!

@Grapeman: How's your vineyard coming along? I saw your post awhile back of your homestead and it looks fantastic! Keep up the good work!

@Grapeman: How's your vineyard coming along? I saw your post awhile back of your homestead and it looks fantastic! Keep up the good work!

Things are doing great but right now it is buried in ice and snow. Before you know it, it will be warm, the birds will be chirping and grapes will be growing.

I have been meaning to try a bucket from Gabriel's.

If Juice is not your thing, we do have a few decent LHBS, which sell all types of ingredients and kits!

I've got a kit that I'll be starting tomorrow from WineXpert, a Cab Sauv. I have more interest in running from juice though. I'm starting with the kit just to work on equipment familiarization.

I'll put a post up when I begin my journey down the rabbit hole

Welcome

You've joined the best wine making site in the world. A LOT of experts on this board and will always respond to your questions, sometimes within minutes.

Welcome aboard!

Bob

NE of Syracuse

Back