Greetings from Scranton, PA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMonger

Reaction score
Hello...

I'm Tom, age 46, from Scranton, PA and completely new to wine-making. And boy and I glad I found this place!

OK, I wasn't serious into wines until about a year ago. A former friend/high school classmate of mine brought his homemade petite sirah wine to a class reunion bus trip. I really loved it and became interested in making it. My friend promised to show me how to make some fruit wines this past summer, but unfortunately, we had somewhat of a falling out and he never showed me how to do it.

At first, I was pretty bummed out, but it turned out to be for the best! When I was talking to other friends about my interest in making my own wine, I was surprised to find quite a few friends who made their own wine (and beers)! I had plenty of resources and guidance all around me, not to mention great forums like this! Everyone is so willing to help out... I love it!

I started 6 weeks ago with a 6 gallon bucket of Cabernet Sauvignon juice from a local produce importer. It was simple... rack to a carboy, add yeast and oak, and it is now doing really well.

Two weeks later, I was making 3 gallons of pear wine from pears from a neighbor's pear tree. That batch is also doing nicely (but definitely needs a flavor pack)! Then I made a gallon of peach/white grape wine using store-bought peach/white grape juice.

Newly added to my wine list is Skeeter Pee! I have a 5 gallon batch "percolating" right now. Can't wait to try this one!

I am really enjoying this a, but man... I wish I was a more patient man! LOL

-Tom in Scranton, PA

Welcome Tom to the site. I to am glad I found this site although it's partially their fault I have no room in by basement cellar room. It's filled with carboys. Not a bad thing though.

Search and learn. There's months if not years worth of information here as well as a great group of folks.

Another PA'er here. The numbers are climbing.

Wecome BUTT, don't listen to the "other" PAers esp. a guy that goes by Runningwolf. :D

Welcome to our forum and glad to have you here! This forum is bursting at the seems with PA'ers.

Wecome Tom,

Glad to see another PA'er and don't listen to anyone outside of PA :tz

Welcome Tom! There is lots of good information here and lots of people who are willing to help. Even if they are not from PA.. haha I am up in the Scranton area at least one day a week. Nice area!:r

Thanks for all the welcomes!!! Yes, I see there are quite a few PA members here! I'll feel right at home :)

Back