Greetings from New York!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxman11290

I'm Getting There
Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop a quick post to say hi and get the ball rolling. Picked up a standard starter kit with everything I need (I think) along with an Eclipse Columbia Valley Riesling over the holidays. Thinking about getting it started over the next few weeks.

Any general tips or useful links to threads for a first time brewer such as myself? Any and all advice is appreciated.

The one question I have already is how to maintain fermentation temperature. As I'm in New York, and it's damn chilly this time of year. :snw My apartment probably has some fluctuations in temperature from day to night as I have an old fashioned heating system that only adjusts to manual changes.

Have people had success with electric blankets/ heating bands etc? Should I not fuss so much about this?

I look forward to reading more about this stuff!

Welcome Fellow New Yorker!
Just keep it around 70° - 75° and you will be fine, if you can keep it off the floor, even a milk create, it'll keep the floor from cooling it.
Follow the kit to the letter, they are developed to bring you success.
Read as many posts as you can, and ask as many questions as you can think of, this is a great community filled with people that are ready to help!

Tom

Greetings Saxman from the opposite end of the state. You can ferment them this time of year, but if it gets too cool it can prevent it from going dry. Some guys wrap it with a blanket and others use a brewbelt to warm it up with sucess. I ferment in the room where the furnace is because it tends to be warmer in there.

Welcome Saxman. Wasn't the American Idol runner up from your town this year?

Haha, I'm not too sure, don't really watch that much TV.

Either way, I'm just currently living in Westchester as a student. Originally from Long Island, for what it's worth.

Haha, I'm not too sure, don't really watch that much TV.

Either way, I'm just currently living in Westchester as a student. Originally from Long Island, for what it's worth.

Welcome.

I just moved to long island from brooklyn 3 years back. Wher ein long island.

Originally from Jericho in Nassau County, but have been moving around to different areas of NY depending where I am in school. Lived in NYC for undergrad and now I'm up in Westchester.

My girlfriend currently lives in Brooklyn, where were you from in Brooklyn Wiccan_Lager?

Originally from Jericho in Nassau County, but have been moving around to different areas of NY depending where I am in school. Lived in NYC for undergrad and now I'm up in Westchester.

My girlfriend currently lives in Brooklyn, where were you from in Brooklyn Wiccan_Lager?

Bay Ridge/Dyker Heights.

Greetings brother NYer from northern NY. I'm up near Watertown.

Put a brewers belt on your wine and it will keep it at just the right temps.

Im from northeast pa, I put a old coat around my bucket .Once the fermentation process had started it stayed warmer than the house at about 78 the house about 70

Latest posts

Back