Greetings from Ireland

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, greetings from the emerald Isle. I tried my hand at brewing about 35 yrs ago, but work commitments and travelling put an end to that. Now I have plenty of free time, I am excited to get back into winemaking again. I intend to grow, forage or borrow as many ingredients as possible to make my wines rather than using kits. More fun that way I think! Anyway, good luck to everyone with their current endeavors and may the wine gods be with you!😎

Welcome to WMT. Glad that after a pretty long while, you now have the best chance at winemaking.🙂 What ingredients do you have in mind? Good luck, and enjoy the forum.

Welcome to WMT! @BigDaveK is doing a lot of wines based on a similar style of growing and foraging for his ingredients. Mostly growing… and he does make wine out of just about anything. He’s got a lot of great ideas and everyone here is very welcoming and helpful with any dilemma or question you come up against. Just ask. There is also a LOT of information in the forums if you get the chance to read through them or search them. Enjoy!

Thanks David, I am having a good read through the forums and find them really interesting. Lots of advice and recipes available. I have a couple of books (First Steps in Winemaking by CJJ Berry, and Progressive Winemaking by Peter Duncan & Bryan Acton), and have found a couple of recipes in the Jack Keller pdf here, that I will try. I am just looking for a decent supplier in Ireland at the moment as I need to get yeasts, acids, nutrients demijohns and hydrometer, etc. As soon as I am stuck ( which shouldn't be too long), I will be sure to ask for advice from you all. Cheers!

Welcome to WMT. Glad that after a pretty long while, you now have the best chance at winemaking.🙂 What ingredients do you have in mind? Good luck, and enjoy the forum.
Hi, I will have an abundance of raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, apples, sloes, gorse flowers, and hopefully elderberries. Next year I should also have plenty red/blackcurrants, blueberries, rhubarb and strawberries. And I have also started a herb garden to add to the mix. That should be enough to get me started! I can also go foraging when the neighbors are asleep! 😁 (Only joking!) Looking forward to some nice reds and ports.

welcome to Wine Making Talk
I am of a similar style, making what grows local/ much of what you grow. Do you have a source for tannic apple? When I started cyser I used tannic crab apple (5%) and am transitioning to red varieties with names.
Hi, I will have an abundance of raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, apples, sloes, gorse flowers, and hopefully elderberries. Next year I should also have plenty red/blackcurrants, blueberries, rhubarb and strawberries. And I have also started a herb garden to add to the mix. That should be enough to get me started! I can also go foraging when the neighbors are asleep! 😁 (Only joking!) Looking forward to some nice reds and ports.

Welcome to WMT!
This is a great source for information and support.
I enjoy sourcing my ingredients from the yard and garden. I'm retired, I'm cheap and I like to stretch my dollars. And I've had great results so far!
I'm excited about this year. I have a LONG list of wines to make but I'm really looking forward to gooseberry, rhubarb, carrot, beet, and anise hyssop.
Sounds like you have quite a variety to collect and forage. Good luck!!!

Welcome. That’s a good list for starters 😉. I started two years ago and have done apple, beet, elderberry, and wild grape. My raspberry bushes came in the mail yesterday and I have some crab apples on order. Great hobby!

welcome to Wine Making Talk
I am of a similar style, making what grows local/ much of what you grow. Do you have a source for tannic apple? When I started cyser I used tannic crab apple (5%) and am transitioning to red varieties with names.
No, I have cooking apples but there are a couple of orchards beside me so I will have a look there. Won't be too hard to come by. Never heard of cyser, I had to look look it up. Looks like THAT will be going on my long list also!

That's abundant enough to get started, the neighbors are safe.😄 Keep us posted?

Thanks for the reply.

No, I have cooking apples but there are a couple of orchards beside me so I will have a look there. Won't be too hard to come by. Never heard of cyser, I had to look look it up. Looks like THAT will be going on my long list also!
Last year because of a late frost I used 100% Granny Smith juice and was happy with the results. This year it looks like I'll be able to do a mix - maybe I'll be even happier?!

Latest posts

Back