Greetings from Indiana!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickochet

Wine Maker & Home Brewer
Reaction score
I am a new wine drinker and an even newer wine maker. My lovely bride of 31 years and I stopped to visit a winery last summer while on vacation in southern Indiana. The French Lick Winery in French Lick, Indiana opened our eyes (or our taste buds) to a different way of life!

We had a tasting and bought a bottle of FL Soft Red. When we got home, and the wine chilled, we enjoyed something that was wonderful! The wine was outstanding and very relaxing! The entire experience of enjoying wine is difficult to describe to those who do not like wine. We were once in that category and for what ever reason we decided to give it a try, I am thankful that we did!

We have now visited many awesome wineries in Indiana, Michigan and Ohio. We joined the Oak Hill Wine Club in Converse, IN and it has been a blast to visit there on a Sunday afternoon, taste a few wines and take home our 2 bottles every month.

With that bit of history, and to share (or admit) my obsession with hobbies or any endeavor, I am trying to glean as much information as possible before I plunge in with both feet. I have to confess that I bought an equipment kit and Wine Expert White Zin kit at Brewer's Art Supply in Fort Wayne, IN last week.

I have not started the kit yet as I am looking for ideas for benches, counter-tops, cabinets and the entire gamut of tools & accessories. I probably will not wait too long before starting the process, but I am certainly open to your suggestions, especially for assimilating my wine making area in the basement.

What tips or links do you experienced winemakers have to share that will help me begin?

Thanks and I am looking forward to connecting with you!

Rick

Welcome to WineMakingTalk Rick,

Get a table beside a sink and start making that wine. You will figure things out as you go along. :b

I dont have a sink in my room but hopefully someday when we arrange the basement a littl better and move the washer and dryer upstairs this will happen but for now here is my room. Just dont forget about having a place to keep all the wines you are about to make so here is my wine cellar also. Also I dont know if you drink beer so in the corner of my wine making room is the fridge with 3 beers on tap and a sparkling wine. Yes we also make lots of beer here too!
Picture-5.jpg

LeftSideWithDoorRack.jpg

RightSideCellar.jpg

Picture001-5.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

If you like French Lick wine, try http://www.midwestsupplies.com/cabernet-franc-ice-wine-selection-speciale.html

I've got the kit, but haven't started it yet. I was at a home brew shop in Jasper, and the owner had a sample of this. Great stuff. Reminded me of a French Lick Red, only smoother. I bought the kit, and after I cut my finishing cutting my teeth on an Island Mist Blueberry, will start the Speciale.

After looking at Wade's photos, are you sure you want to dive in any deeper? :p\

For your first kit, don't worry too much about your setup. Just make it at the kitchen sink and dive right in. Once you do a kit, you will have a better idea about where, how and with what.

Additional things I believe you need:
brew belt (a must)
stick-on thermometer for fermentor and one for each carboy.

For that French wine, don't drink it right out of the frig - too cold, try warming it just a little and try it. Experiment with different temps. You will be surprised how the flavor will pop out at the right temp.

Wow! Wade has set the bar pretty high, but that's what I like! Thanks for the responses and keep them coming. I'm going to start my kit tomorrow evening.

I got the White Zin in the primary bucket tonight! What fun! I also stopped by Elkhart, IN today at Quality Wine & Supply and bought another set up to do more wine. What fun!

You will find that this something that will grow around you. Keep making and it will come.:h
Welcome. Good to have you with us.

Latest posts

Back