Greetings from CT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ybl84f1

Junior
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm new to the wine making hobby here & hoping to leverage all the expertise on this forum to guide me along so I can give back at some point.

Cheers!

@Rice_Guy

Well I guess the short answer to what I like to drink is "yes". :h As far as what I like to make - no idea!

I kind of started doing this completely backwards, which is pretty uncharacteristic of me. Usually I research and study something to death before I start a new endeavor, like photography, 3D printing, etc. But I was in a brewing supply shop getting beer yeast for my brother-in-law and just before I checked out I passed the rack of kit wines, and during what could only be described as a complete brain freeze I bought an RJS blush kit. I honestly don't know what I was thinking...maybe I thought you just added water like it was Kool-Aid or something and then I'd have a jug of wine like the awesome picture on the box. It was pretty idiotic on my part. Luckily my brother-in-law had something called a carboy and some other stuff and we made my first kit. I'm now working on #2, a WE Private Reserve Lodi Zin.

My other fear was that I would immerse myself in every free moment learning everything I could about wine making while completely ignoring my wife, family, household repairs, personal hygiene, etc. And sure enough I did, although I am maintaining some acceptable level of personal hygiene. And lastly, as I predicted about myself, I now have made a bit of investment in wine making equipment; I can now measure pH, SO2, and TA.

But acquiring equipment is much easier than acquiring knowledge and experience, which is why I joined this forum. It seems to me wine making is as much art as it is science, and I really admire the members here and their vast expertise and depth of knowledge.

Probably more than you wanted or needed to know about me but anyways...

Cheers!

* eating hedonic flavors is an art and wine is consumed therefore wines has to be an art. The science comes in when we build factories and hire Joe off the street and expect him to be able to taste or smell or feel what Philep could after growing up in a French vineyard. You will find lots of experience here which is contradictory and the art then steps in since some grow grapes, some kits, some mead, some country wines and then you have to pull out truth for the boundaries where you are. (my point of view is figure out rules to program a factory PLC)
* YBL8 an interesting introspective trait, ,,, as a wine maker you might continue ignoring the wife, BUT you ought to never ignore your personal hygiene (infections) and oxygen (potential shelf life). ,,, And in the scheme of things wine is best when shared with the wife and brother in law, not to mention the neighbors, but neighbors come down the road when you have 50 gallon barrel. Curious what you use the 3D printer for, my kid has one that can make a wall desk for work at home, my wife has a student who can make rabbit shape flower pots and a nephew actually uses one at work to mock up airplane parts.
* There is a wealth of info in WMT and periodically I see a 2013 thread pop up and think my gosh that’s an interesting subject/ concept, ,,, for a startup I would suggest “What was your biggest ah ha moment” and “home made vs commercial and what am I doing to close the gap”. Happy reading
:b

Latest posts

Back