Greetings from Cincinnati Ohio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Junior
Reaction score
Hi:

The name here is Bill and my location is in the title. I have just received my wine kits from Mid-West and will do one in a week or two. I went with two really cheap kits Winexpert's Australian Shiraz and California Trinity White because I wanted something to drink quick and get the process down before down a couple of the high end kits to age. I mean why screw up $300.00 worth of wine right off the bat with newbie mistakes. That would make me do this:slp. My real interest lies in fruit, or country wines as I've heard them called, as we have many great farmers' markets here where I can get all sorts of stuff in season. I made sure I got a copy of "Mary's Recipes" for that purpose. I've thumbed about half way through it and want to try every one. Strawberries will likely be my first, or perhaps raspberry as I can always get them frozen cheap. I'd love to make scrumpy, but I am not going to be able to invest in a press nor a mill and the work a rounds I've seen look like a lot of work.

Well, That's where I am at. I'll be seeing you guys around. :spm

Dont know what scrumpies are but with fruit wines the press isnt needed. The kits are easy to make its the waiting afterwards thats hard especially when you first start and dont have a cellar full of wines you can drink in the meantime. The main thing to know is not to follow the instructions at the point of bottling, let the wine bulk age in the carboy longer and you wont have bottles with sediment in them! Give them at least another 2-3 months and you will be much happier later. Did you buy a drill mounted stirrer to rid your wine of gas?

Hello Bill and welcome to the forum..

you can make scrumpy without a press.. just juice the apples instead, we look forward to hearing how you get on with your kits..

Allie

Bill Welcome! :try
Here you will find alot who make fruit wines. Let us know how we can help. :dg

Dont know what scrumpies are but with fruit wines the press isnt needed. The kits are easy to make its the waiting afterwards thats hard especially when you first start and dont have a cellar full of wines you can drink in the meantime. The main thing to know is not to follow the instructions at the point of bottling, let the wine bulk age in the carboy longer and you wont have bottles with sediment in them! Give them at least another 2-3 months and you will be much happier later. Did you buy a drill mounted stirrer to rid your wine of gas?

Scrumpy is naturally fermented pure apple cider. Nothing is added, nor do I believe is it even secondaried, except to stabilize around 1.030 after fermentation. It is a famous English drink in the UK, with the region of Somerset being Mecca of Scrumpy. Scrumpy can be a cloudy drink and it will put you on your tail.

I sorta figured that about the bulk aging, but wasn't sure. I was probably going to do that anyway as nether kit came with oak and I had the impulse to bulk age with some of those oak sticks you dangle with fishing line in the carboy.

As far as degassing tools I bought "The Whip". I thought it would be a relatively small investment on a labor savor.

So its a hard cider that is low in alc form no sugar or anything being added.

it's a cider Wade, around 8 per cent abv, the apples are well mellowed first to concentrate the sugars. BTW in the UK they have standards for ciders and perry.. no sugar or water to be added or it cannot be labelled a cider/perry.

Allie

This is an old post I see I'm always reading and like to get ideas. Anyhow want to try this sometime to

Howdy Bill,

My first kit is the Trinity White, which is just about ready to rack off the lees. I also have a Trinity Red that is in stabilization/clearing.

I've made plenty of Cider in the past, back when I was 'just' a brewer. I started with organic cider from the local organic grocery, but my last two batches were from pasteurized apple juice. You could certainly try that out without the need for a bunch of equipment. But maybe you have an orchard and the apples are there for the taking.

Best, Fran

Hi Bill, welcome to WMT!

In related news, with all these folks in the surrounding area (Ohio Valley,) we should really have a meet up.... just sayin'!

Latest posts

Back