Greetings from Central Kentucky

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexadmn

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all and Thank You for allowing myself to have access to the forum. I have never made wine before in my life but have a great interest and have started 2 batches (both are started now). We will see what becomes of them.
I have no desire to ever become an industrialist but do strive to become a perfectionist.

Again, Thank You for allowing me to be here.

KC

Welcome! I have found this forum to be a great resource in my wine making - they have seen me through my "panic times" when I thought I did something wrong or helped me when I ran out of certain ingredients.

I don't think you will find this level of expertise anywhere else :)

KC,

Welcome!

You'll find all the help you need on this forum to take your winemaking skills to whatever level you want them to be.

Tell us more about the wine you've started and where you are in the process.

Fred

Welcome and glad to have you here. Please dont be afraid to ask any questions. The only dum question is 1 not asked and its always easier to give you the answer on how to make something then how to fix something although we can almost always do that too.

KC,

Tell us more about the wine you've started and where you are in the process.

Fred

I'm still very early in what I have started.
I was rather certain I would fail the first few times at this, so I started these first 2 batches from concentrate. The first from apple, the second from peach and cranberry.
Finding a concentrate that has very little additives has been a good challenge but I think I have found a few, maybe.
The apple is about a week in the secondary. I checked the SG in the beginning and it was 1.140. Yesterday is was 1.000 (about 2 weeks since adding yeast).
The Peach has no yeast yet and is in the primary, I mixed it last night. The SG on the peach is 1.158 at the moment.
These are both 6 gallon batches and very well may find themselves going down the drain as I have no idea what I am doing. But this is becoming entertaining to me.

KC

I'm still very early in what I have started.
I was rather certain I would fail the first few times at this, so I started these first 2 batches from concentrate. The first from apple, the second from peach and cranberry.
Finding a concentrate that has very little additives has been a good challenge but I think I have found a few, maybe.
The apple is about a week in the secondary. I checked the SG in the beginning and it was 1.140. Yesterday is was 1.000 (about 2 weeks since adding yeast).
The Peach has no yeast yet and is in the primary, I mixed it last night. The SG on the peach is 1.158 at the moment.
These are both 6 gallon batches and very well may find themselves going down the drain as I have no idea what I am doing. But this is becoming entertaining to me.

KC

Are you certain you read the hydrometer correctly? The hydrometer I use only goes to 1.120 which equates to 16% alcohol.

Watch Out !!
Soon to be an obsession !

LOL
Welcome anyway...

Some hydrometers do go as high as 1.170 and I have 1 of these but dear lord thats way to high for a starting sg. Your wine will probably stop fermenting around 1.030 or even higher depending on what yeast you used and that will be pretty darn sweet and very high in alc. You really want to only go as high as 1.090 for fruit wines or you are going to really have to age it as the high alc will hide all the flavor.

Greetings from Kentucky

I'm guessing the 2 1/2 pounds of sugar per gallon may be a little much then? I used one package of the yellow packaged Red Star yeast in each batch.

The apple has come down to 1.000 and the fermenting has really slowed.
I have stirred in some nutrient and yeast on the peach and maybe it will do something by tomorrow.

KC

:re

I think that yeast is Champagne yeast which has a very low tolerance to alc and you are in trouble if so as that will die off much earlier then what I speculated as its only usually good to 15% so your wine will probably stop with an sg around 1.050 give or take and that is very high in residual sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like you will have an ice wine style wine on your hands.

welcome to the forum..

If it ends up a bit high in alcohol, you can get creative when drinking.. maybe add some soda to water it down, decorate with fruit in ice cubes .. make a punch perhaps..

It's not unsalvageable.

Allie

Last edited:
Hmm.. perhaps I need to work on that patience thing. This batch has already found its way down the drain and a new batch has already been started in its place so all is better now. I have the sugar adjusted to 1.095. Perhaps this will build a better result. :b

KC

Last edited:
quote'.... Last edited by lexadmn; Today at 10:46 AM. Reason: mom and dad sent me to school, but I ate the books.... bad grammer... '

lmao at your editing reason.. you know grammer is spelled grammar?

grins

Allie ;)

( having a cheeky moment!)

quote'.... Last edited by lexadmn; Today at 10:46 AM. Reason: mom and dad sent me to school, but I ate the books.... bad grammer... '

lmao at your editing reason.. you know grammer is spelled grammar?

grins

Allie ;)

( having a cheeky moment!)

oh my... I wont tell if you wont.... :D

I thought you were taking confessions Tom?

:p Allie

(and someone has to be the spelling police!)

SHH !!! I am! BUT da speling polize is also gonna git U... !

Not today Tom..

..like Galileo.. I'm going to be proven right eventually..

:p

Allie

Back