Greetings from Canada

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would let it sit for a while longer. Give it a week or so and the lees will compact some, then when you rack it the will tend to stay in the container instead of being racked to the next carboy with the wine. Arne.

Like Arne said, let is go another week or so, then rack into another carboy. A week or two sitting on those lees isn't a problem. Letting it go for a month could impart some bad taste.

I am a bit late but Welcome Skunk, I am sure you and your wife will enjoy this hobby for a long time to come! I sure am!

I am a bit late but Welcome Skunk, I am sure you and your wife will enjoy this hobby for a long time to come! I sure am!
Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure I have found a new hobby, I'm super excited to be cutting my teeth on these 1st few batches.

I've always wanted to try my hand at wine and beer making, and luck was on my side when I came across all my equipment for cheap. Finally got into the game!

While my 1st batch is settling out in the second fermentation carboy I decided to bang up another batch for the wife.

Seeing as my Primary Fermentation Tank was emptied and cleaned out, I decided to open up another kit and begin the process.

This time around the wife wanted me to start the Island Mist 'RASPBERRY''N'PEACH kit she picked up.

20180524_202009.jpeg

This time around the kit insides were a little different, and came with some revised additions to the instructions from the distributor.
On these revised instructions it told me to half the #1 pack (Bentonite) and only add 15grams instead of the full 30 gram packet. I followed those instructions and proceeded to continue on with the rest of the steps,

I also decided to up the alcohol content a slight bit by making a sugar syrup @ 5 cups of sugar to 5 cups of water. I ended up slowly adding this syrup to the tank and checking my SG with each cup addition. Ended up with a starting SG of 1.064

She's been in the primary for the last couple days and fermentation is coming to the end so I'll check my SG this evening an might be ready to Rack up into my second fermentation carboy

That's Awesome!! I also have wanted to make wine or beer for a long time but never did. Now I am getting close to retirement and need a hobby so here I am.

Latest posts

Back