Greetings From A Hog Barn In NW Ohio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winepig

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I've been lurking around here for awhile and decided to sign up the other day.

I grew up making grape wine with my dad and just started getting back into it a few years ago. We make wine from local fruits that are in season, mostly what we get from our own land.

I'm pretty old fashioned, I don't use chemicals or take SG readings, I use the same yeast my wife uses for baking. Sometimes we have a failure, but I'm always learning.

I'm looking forward to learning a few things and maybe helping out others if I can, I hope I don't get run off for being a hillbilly fermenter who doesn't use modern methods... I'm not opposed to them, I'm just a tight a$$ who doesn't want all the extra equipment around for a hobby.

I'm really looking forward to being a member here.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Sirs on here uses wild yeast and I have had a taste of his wine, it's not bad, high in alcohol but not bad.

Welcome aboard, I wouldn't worry too much about your non-modern techniques. If it works for you and you like your wine then who are we to judge. You may have some that do not agree with you but as long as it works for you then great! Sometimes a different point of view can be a welcome change.

Winepig, welcome to the forum. I'm bettin' it won't be long 'til you're using
K-meta and a hydrometer. LOL Good luck!

............... What are you making right now?

Right at the moment, we have 5 - 1 gal jugs of dandelion, 8 1/2 gallons of rhubarb and a gallon of lilac all bubbling away under airlocks.

I had a gallon of hard lemonade aging from a couple months ago, but I got into that tonight when I got in from the field..... it's been a long three days.

In the past, we've made peach, pear & grape. Dandelion is my specialty, it's the recipe that led me back to wine making a few years ago.

Thanks for the welcomes everybody, I appreciate it.

Tim

Welcome to the forum we always look forward to meeting someone new. just because you are new to this forum don't mean that you cannot teach us something new don't be afraid to chime in

Latest posts

Back