Greetings and Salutations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My name is Philip. My partner Ben and I live here in upstate New York, specifically, Niskayuna, which is right outside of Albany. He's been making hard cider for about 4 years now, and I've been itching to make wine for about 2.5 years, and we finally got a new place this past December giving me the space to do so. This past Saturday I started my first batch, it's a summer blend, as I was looking at the timing it would be done and ideal for consumption. I went with Mango, Strawberry, and Peaches(fresh fruit). I'm still debating on a name for the blend, but it will come to me.

We are also obsessed with orchids. In fact, when we started looking for a new place, it was because our orchids took over and we had no room. So every time we looked at a place, it was thinking of the orchids and not ourselves. We have an entire room that runs on smart technology that is set to mimic the tropics that the orchids grow in. And then in our bedroom I have an orchidarium for the cool growing orchids. It's a chore to care for them, even still, but they are thriving a lot better now that they are "in their natural environment. I sit on the board of directors for our local orchid society, North Eastern New York Orchid Society, and I run the monthly newsletter.

Our other obsession and hobby are fish. I actually have a side business called "Gillty Pleasures". I breed Bettas and Kribensis cichlids. Between my office and our home, we have a total of 12 aquariums. Some for beauty and some for utility.

I am plotting out bottle labels at the moment, and this is one concept I'm tossing around. I want to make up a few others then make a decision though.

Attachments

• IMG_2794.jpeg
    IMG_2794.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 9
I don’t know if I will do different labels for each wine. But just making a few concepts and then settling on one. I’m a professional graphics designer and that’s kind of our process. Make about 3 designs and choose the best one. I have 6-8 months before a label is necessary. So I’m no hurry at all. Lol

We both have a Ben!!! Too funny! I haven't decided what route I want to go with the other labels yet, but I will definitely share them! Just in the few hours I've been a member here I've already learned quite a bit! I look forward to it!

If you need help designing I'm more than happy to help! I've got plenty of programs :)

My partner, Ben, and I settled on a label, finally. A friend of ours passed away 4 years ago. Ben knew him before Ben and I even met. They were very close and Ross is how I learned Ben's ins and outs. Ross was very important to us. After Ross passed, Ben always said that every time he saw a red tailed hawk, he knew Ross was there, with him. So I presented a label to Ben featuring the Red tail Hawk, and without hesitation, we chose that one out of the 3. I used two tribal hawks and turned their tails red, the two hawks representing Ben and I.

Attachments

• Red Hawk Home Brews 2.png
    Red Hawk Home Brews 2.png
    516.5 KB · Views: 18
Welcome! I know that area well -I went to college in Loudonville and my uncle lived in Scotia for a while.

Where'd you get your cider apples from and what varieties did you use? I grew up working on an apple orchard just over the border in Berkshire county so I'm fascinated by cider. The only stuff we ever made there was from eating apples (Macintosh, spy, Rome, etc.) and so the cider was pretty limited. Cider specific apples didn't come back in vogue til long after I was working there.

-Aaron

Hey there Aaron. So where are you living now? As far as the ciders we make, a lot of times we usually got whatever was in the grocery store or local farm. We really never knew what specifically were in them as they were a random blend.

So to answer your question in a little more to the point information... While I could list forever the ones best used, I'll simplify it to this statement. Look for the apples that are high in sugar content and acidic. The acidity will give it the flavor that lasts though and not water down. The sugar will help to make the alcohol. It has been noted to me that if you can get your harvested apples in the latest part of the season for them coming off the trees, the better. They will have more sugar and flavor.

This autumn we are going to our regional Zymurgist, Saratoga Zymurgist, www.saratogaz.com , for a specially made blend of cider. It is going to be carefully blended with the specific sugar, pH, the precentages of different apples used, etc. We had to pre order this from them.

I have a "Ben" too! Actually her name is Bev but our daughter could not pronounce that when she was a baby so "Bev" came out "Ben." The name stuck and I still call her Ben after 55 years. She was a Pharmacist for CVC and when she joined, they made her a nametag and it read, "Ben Rocco, Registered Pharmacist." It is one of my prized possessions.

I'm living in Sutter Creek, CA. I just moved out here from San Jose. I am in the middle of Amador wine country so mostly dealing with grapes (this weekend was a lot of dealing with grapes -spend 4 hours picking Muscat Blanc on Saturday and all day today crushing and pressing it...)

I was thinking of also planting some cider apple trees to relive my glory days of youth but I'm not too sure how well they would do out here...

I have a "Ben" too! Actually her name is Bev but our daughter could not pronounce that when she was a baby so "Bev" came out "Ben." The name stuck and I still call her Ben after 55 years. She was a Pharmacist for CVC and when she joined, they made her a nametag and it read, "Ben Rocco, Registered Pharmacist." It is one of my prized possessions.
That's super cool and funny!

I'm living in Sutter Creek, CA. I just moved out here from San Jose. I am in the middle of Amador wine country so mostly dealing with grapes (this weekend was a lot of dealing with grapes -spend 4 hours picking Muscat Blanc on Saturday and all day today crushing and pressing it...)

I was thinking of also planting some cider apple trees to relive my glory days of youth but I'm not too sure how well they would do out here...
Aaaah, very cool!

Welcome to WMT

we are in fall harvest season when crab apples are available for the picking. Curious with cider in the family have you started to use that type of flavor to round out your wines. ex the next thing I am looking at is briana (northern grape) with 5% crab apple juice.

I haven't. This is my first wine, it's mango, peach and strawberry, and I'm back sweetening with honey and coconut. I am calling it "Summer Breeze".

However, I do want to introduce apple into my fall wine, which I'm going to be working on either this weekend or next weekend. I just haven't decided what exactly I want to do.

Latest posts

Back