Greetings all. Need Lots of help! :-)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmaley

Junior
Reaction score
Got interested in wine making because I'm a beekeeper who had extra honey, so I made Apple Mead with it. It turned out great and now I'm hooked on wine making. I love learning new things so I'm hoping that the contributors of this wonderful forum can help me learn.

Thank you and I look forward to your insights.

Welcome @Dmaley. Just curious and not sure how to ask this question. How much honey does a typical hive produce. As if I know what a typical hive is.
On a decent year, about 40-50 lbs. This was fall honey which is not as pretty as spring honey so I decided I would just ferment it instead of bottle and sell.

On a decent year, about 40-50 lbs. This was fall honey which is not as pretty as spring honey so I decided I would just ferment it instead of bottle and sell.
1 lb = 12 liquid ounces too, BTW, in case you were wanting to know gallons instead of weight.

Welcome to the forum. I'm still kind of new here too but would be willing to help out with what and when I can. I will point out that so many people don't realize when you add fruit to your honey it is no longer considered mead. Don't worry, even seasoned wine makers still just call it mead. The truth is, if you add fruit to your fermentation with honey, it is considered Melomel. Just simply means it's mead with fruit in it. And Apple melomel sounds like a really good combination. Happy fermenting.....

Welcome to the forum. I'm still kind of new here too but would be willing to help out with what and when I can. I will point out that so many people don't realize when you add fruit to your honey it is no longer considered mead. Don't worry, even seasoned wine makers still just call it mead. The truth is, if you add fruit to your fermentation with honey, it is considered Melomel. Just simply means it's mead with fruit in it. And Apple melomel sounds like a really good combination. Happy fermenting.....
Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the terminology lesson! I'll take it all! I learned that it was called an Apple Cysor from internet reading but I had not heard the term Melomel yet. Interesting... Thank you!

Latest posts

Back