Green Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch404

Reaction score
In the past I've made some batches of what I called Absinthe wine they were ad hoc mixtures of herbs used in traditional Absinthe thrown into the carboy of some fermenting juice wine. When I made them I used dark juices and now I'm wondering if there are green wines for a more traditional Absinthe look?

I've read that kiwi wine is green but that is just does not sound good with bitter herbs in it. I have also read about elder berries being green; as I have never in my life seen an elderberry I'm pretty sure I can't get them here in Northern California.

Any other options short of food coloring (yuck!)? I know the liqueur absinthe is colored after distilling with a second batch of herbs that impart the green color. Maybe I could make a tea of them on a fairly clear wine.

Absinth is made with wormwood that originally gave it its green color.
Wormwood is rumored to have halocinogenic properties, witch is supposed to give it its kick. That is also the reason Absinth is illeagle in the US.

Now though, there are several legal types of absinth, made with a different type of wormwood. I have tried Absente Absinth. It is quite good, it has a very high alcohol content. Also expensive at $60 a bottle.

The wormwood does not give it the green color. They usually added Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) along with some other herbs for the green color, after distillation. Wormwood is a gray plant that attributes a light brown color to the brew. It is not hallucinogenic just a slightly different feel in the head then regular wine. Absinthe is now legal and you can purchase it about anywhere. Of it's self it was never illegal the FDA never approved wormwood in food products because it has some bad effects on your liver, after long term high dose usage.

Now back to my original question...Green wine? :a1

My Jalapeno is also greenish...would be greener if used more peppers but not sure you would like the heat?

If you take the seeds out it will reduce the heat alot.

you shouldn't have them in there. seeds can cause off flavors in fermenting.

green tomato FTW!!! it's kinda like a light lime green. tastes like lemonade with a trace of tomato at the end. people get the craziest face drinking it, like that's lemon right? nope. i didn't think so cuz the flavor at the end. so?? it's green tomato!:d

can post up recipe this weekend if anyone's interested....

Probably depends on how green you want to go. I bet mint leaves would add some color. Food coloring is derived from plants. I wouldn't feel too bad about using some.::

Check out the collection of "army worm wine" videos on youtube... it kind of looks green.. it kind of looks disgusting too.

Peppers seem like a great idea. Someone suggested green bell peppers. I was hoping to get it as green as possible. Jalapeno absinthe sounds kinda good to. I could also de-worm my chickens with it.

Peppers seem like a great idea. Someone suggested green bell peppers. I was hoping to get it as green as possible. Jalapeno absinthe sounds kinda good to. I could also de-worm my chickens with it.

ROFL! That's great

green wine

To funny Torch...poor chickens might stop laying eggs lol

Latest posts

Back