Green Tomato Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewgrrrl

Reaction score
A few years ago I tasted a strange wine that reminded me of a bit of Chardonnay. When I found out I was drinking green tomato wine I couldn't believe it. I have wanted to try making it ever since. When my uncle gave me almost a full bushel of green tomatoes this year, I made the following recipe (based on several recipes I reviewed and adjusted to what I had available).

Green Tomato Wine (makes 6 gallons - I know, I might be crazy but what the heck, the tomatoes were free)

21 lbs green tomatoes
36 cloves
3 oz. ginger root, chopped
6 cans Welch's white grape concentrate (69 oz)
10 lbs sugar
juice of 6lbs of lemons
juice of 5 valencia oranges
1 1/2 tsp tannin
6 tsp yeast nutrient
6 tsp pectic enzyme
water to 6 gallons
6 campden tablets
Lalvlin EC-1118 wine yeast

Wash the tomatoes, remove bruises and blemishes, chop (I used a food processor). Place in a straining bag with the cloves and ginger root. Add the sugar and about two gallons of water and stir. Add remaining ingredients (except yeast) and leave overnight.

I plan on adding Lalvlin EC-1118 yeast tomorrow evening. My SG=1.120, which is a little higher than I'd expected, but my acid was right at .70. I plan on racking and removing the pulp/cloves/ginger when the SG=1.040.

Here's a picture of my 6 gallon green machine right now:

20091004_164727_DSCF0738.jpg

Wish me luck (fingers are definitely crossed on this one - this is by far the strangest thing I've tried to ferment to date).
smiley17.gif

One of our local wineries makes a tomato wine and they add hot peppers. I think maybe I'll try it again next time I visit, maybe. I like their carrot & banana wine much better, but the best is the orange coffee.
Here is the web site with their list of wines http://www.floridawine.com/wine_selection.htm
VC

Interesting stuff! Thanks for the link. I wonder how a green tomato wine is different from a red tomato wine... I would think it might have a sharper ("green") flavor to start that might have to mellow more over time but I don't know. I've heard that red tomato wines have a strange flavor at first that has to mellow out over many months before it's drinkable. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. Maybe I'll design a label while I wait...

20091008_171007_DSCF0743.jpg

It's a healthy fermentation so far (Lalvlin EC1118 yeast), but also quite possibly the grossest looking one I've seen in a while. Hard to believe that the final wine is going to be light gold...

Seriously. It's the GROSSEST!
It looks and smells like a healthy fermentation though so - gosh darn it, it's so crazy, it just might work...
smiley17.gif

That just does not look right
smiley36.gif

Keep those pictures coming on this one. I lke the idea of adding some hot peppers to the must too. Im going to save your recipe and give this one a try next year.

Gaudet made a tomato wine, maybe he can jump in here and give us his take on it.

I've been under the weather so I just got around to racking this off the pulp.

20091016_190418_DSCF0750.jpg

Needless to say, there will be no second-run tomato wine... for obvious reasons.

20091016_190458_DSCF0751.jpg

It's a bit less green now...

20091016_190614_DSCF0747.jpg

(hey, if I said this was green apple you'd be all over it, right? Well - it's NOT)

And finally... (I did pause for a long while at this moment)...

20091016_190725_DSCF0749.jpg

20091016_190740_DSCF0748.jpg

Yes. Yes I did.
It's very strong alcoholic-flavor but not very tomato-ey any more. When I figure out how to describe the taste I'll let you know. I'll almost certainly be aging this a bit on oak at some point. That's all for now.

(at least I didn't post this at dinner time, right?)
smiley36.gif

Ha! Perhaps I should reference anti-cancer properties on the label... (not verified by the FDA, of course)

Wow... Just wow... that's some bravery there. I would try it though. I'd try any wine once.

Waldo said:
That just does not look right
smiley36.gif

Keep those pictures coming on this one. I lke the idea of adding some hot peppers to the must too. Im going to save your recipe and give this one a try next year.

Gaudet made a tomato wine, maybe he can jump in here and give us his take on it.

I made mine from red tomatoes. It turned to a nice golden / straw color. When I do it again I will not back sweeten as much. I like the taste though. You can get the hint of tomato, but one might not know what it is if they were not told firsthand.

Gaudet, how do you think the green tomato might compare? To date it's never tasted very tomato-ey - more "green" than anything (although 11 days in is probably a bit early to be judging the flavor profile - ha ha). Any thoughts on this?

Honestly I don't know....................... Ever eat fried green tomatoes? They are tart and a bit acidic, so I would expect the same from your wine.

Well, I'm going for a dry white so that sounds hopeful. We'll see how things go over the next few months...
smiley1.gif

Any updates?

I just made a one gallon batch from your recipe last night. Pitched yeast this morning.

First batch that I am totally on my own! I would have liked to go with a kit (which I have) but the tomatoes had to be dealt with, right?

Sweet! I'd love to see pictures of your little green machine. :)

Mine's still in the secondary, so not much to report. When I racked it the fermentation got pretty active again for about two weeks. Now it's quieted down but I'm going to wait a few more weeks before I rack it again. I'll post pictures the next time I work with it.

I really like the smell! It isgreen. citrusy, and yeast-y.

I am also surprised by the color - I thought it would resemblepond scum.

smiley17.gif

Yes, I don't think it's actually as gross as the pictures looked here, but given the amount of time/work I put into it I'm also a little biased. I also agree that the fermentation smell was nice - the wine has really seemed very healthy and I'm looking forward to tasting it when it's finished.

My batch has lightened up quite a bit in the secondary. I also have a batch of Pinot Grigio going right now (about two weeks younger than the green tomato wine) and they actually don't look that different.

Latest posts

Back