Green Mist Vineyard - The OFFICIAL Startup Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great and glad you planted other reds besides Can Franc- the only reason the variety still exists is because it has Cabernet in its name (my opinion)

I dunno, I had a Cab Franc that a friend made last year that turned out pretty great. It can be difficult to ripen, but I still prefer it over some other reds (specifically St. Croix which does well here, but I am not a fan of the plum notes). I DO wish I had done maybe Frontenac or NY95 though in place of 1 or 2 of the whites.

Nice work! Curious about your trellis approach. Are you planning different trellises for different vines?

Mainly VSP, but will be doing TWC for the Marquette and Noiret as well as Cayuga and LaCrescent.

Deer fence is complete. Gates done and fully contained now. Now I can let the dog roam as I work, she seems to like it. And toddler eventually as well. Only thing "left" is all my trellis wire and securing end posts to earth anchors. Should be done within 2-3 weeks. Spent all of today laying black plastic to keep weeds down under the fence, and will line with rocks later. Also, the front lattice gate will have a trim piece around it to finish it off and making an arbor type piece for the top and a Green Mist sign.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

So it's been a while since posting, so here's an update. I have growth on all but about 5 vines that have reached the top of the tubes, but most are MUCH higher. I have decided to spray with Sevin because the Jap beetle damage was getting pretty bad, although I'd like to look into alternative methods once they are producing grapes. Grass filled in a LOT more than anticipated, and weed whacking between every vine got old quick, so based on the recommendation of another thread, I dedided to use Roundup Extended control concentrate. The stuff is not cheap (cost about $100 to do all 10 rows) but if I can spray it once and lasts all summer then I'd say it's worth it. Hopefully it does not drain into the ground and affect the vine roots. Anyway, looking good, and I have used twine to keep some of the vines from growing along the bottom wire and stay as upright as possible.

image(1)FB01.jpg

IMG_4247FB02.jpg

IMG_4290FB03.jpg

IMG_4296FB04.jpg

IMG_4301FB05.jpg

Any idea what this is? Could it be damage from the Roundup? About 3 leaves on 1 vine. Cayuga

image-2097343148.jpg

image-1513917400.jpg

But I am ok using the roundup in general right? What do most people do for grass/weed control in there rows?

Wow, sounds like a lot of work. I'd be doing 600 feet then. And still curious what larger 10+ acre vineyards do.

It does look to me like round up damage. I don't grow grapes but I do garden.
You don't use round up between the rows of your vegetables. You hoe and mulch and for bigger gardens you use a small rototiller.
Id imagine as mush as your paying for roundup, the rototiller will be Cheaper in the long run.
If you must use round up try straight white vinegar instead.
Its cheaper and does the same thing on a sunny day.

I suppose a small tiller would probably work well sad it's true for what I've spent I could probably have a used one already. I'll have to ask around some local vineyards and see what they do.

Larger vineyards use herbidices in most cases. Be careful of extended season Roundup sprays. Some include 2-4,D which you do not want near the vineyard. Read the ingredients list on the label to be sure. I used to do the hand hoe and rototiller thing until I got up to more than an acre of vines. It is time consuming and hard work. I now do one or two applications of Roundup and a residual spray labeled for grapes. You need to apply before growth begins and possibly a spray later in the year if you can time it right with growth.

Good to know, I will check the label but it IS the extended control in the gray container. On the plus side the grow tubes are still on the vibes so the chances of overspray onto vibe foliage is less, but it still scares me a bit.

If your weed problems are mostly grass, you can use clethodim. It kills grass slowly and you can get it all over your grapes without harm. Then you would have to pull or hoe broadleaf weeds. I use Roundup also, but I've never used extended control. I would think anything that keeps killing in the soil might be a risk to young vines. But I haven't researched the pelargonic acid, the additional ingredient in the extended version.

Latest posts

Back