Green Mist Vineyard - The OFFICIAL Startup Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I posted my updated varietal list, but here it is (1x or .5x means 1 row or 1/2 row). Each row is 60' or 12 plants long (a bit cramped 5' vine spacing). I really wanted to to try a lot of different grapes so if one is not good, then hopefully another will be, or I can possibly blend as well. My only issue with this is that 1 row if producing 80%-100% will be barely enough for a single 5-6 gallon batch, so if they aren't producing well then I'll have to use much smaller carboys, etc.

CAB FRANC uprightt RED 1x MAKE DRY

RIESLING upright WHITE 1x MAKE OFF-DRY to SEMI-SWEET

NOIRET semi upright RED 1x MAKE DRY

CAYUGA trailing WHITE 1x MAKE SEMI-SWEET

SEYVAL BLANC semi upright WHITE 1x MAKE OFF DRY

MARQUETTE semi upright RED 1x MAKE DRY

CHARDONEL upright WHITE 1x MAKE DRY to OFF-DRY

TRAMINETTE upright WHITE 1x MAKE SEMI-SWEET

NY95 trailing RED .5x MAKE DRY

LACRESCENT trailing WHITE .5x MAKE OFF-DRY to SEMI_SWEET

VIGNOLES upright DESSERT .5x MAKE SWEET DESSERT

VIDAL BLANC upright .5x MAKE SWEET DESSERT

Last edited:
Well, an update (sort of). Just found out my wife is pregnant with our first baby!! I am 28 and it is both of our first. SO thrilled. Definitely changes your outlook on life almost immediately. Due Aug. 30th, so I will be tending to my baby vines all summer, then start the real work in the fall, lol. I am already gearing up and further educating myself on training types, trellising materials, and how the project is going to go once the vines arrive early April.

I am thrilled to find out that I will be adding Gewurztraminer to the list. I really wanted to order them back in Sept, however they were already sold out. Very disappointing as this is one of my favorite whites (especially pairing with Thai cuisine). So I will actually not be planting the NY95 or LaCrescent and putting in the Gewurz in their place. Very excited. Only 8 more weeks!!!

If it was me and I wanted Gewurtz I would skip the Traminette since it is so much like the Gewurtz and keep at least the LaCreescent. This will be the Riesling of the future. It has all the attributes of the Riesling and is easier to grow and grows in a wider region in the northern areas.Just my humble opinion which I am sure isn't worth much.:)

I'll second the La Crescent. It makes an awesome wine. I would grow it but it hasn't been such a reliable grower here. I'll be purchasing grapes though as it is one I must offer at my winery.

So I did decide to keep the La Crescent, and now that we're in the 50°s (even though the breeze is cold), I'm back out to work. Got 45 2' deep holes dug with my dad and an auger yesterday, and as sore as I am today, I managed to get 10 mid posts in. Going for 10 more tomorrow, then end posts Tue/Wed. Want to get em all in before rain. Here's a few pics.
image1-5_zpsaebce044.jpeg

image5-2_zpse0edd560.jpeg

image4-3_zps5b95d0bf.jpeg

image7-3_zps850c2656.jpeg

Keep up the good work! We want to see the vineyard develop over the years and see some wine coming out of all the hard work. Good job.

Best of luck with the baby and the vineyard. I did the same thing 27 years ago and they both worked out. It's good to be young with endless energy.

So it's been nearly 6 weeks since my last update, and BOY have I been busy. Nearly every day that hasn't been raining has been outside setting trellis posts, augering holes, setting deer fence posts, planting the vines, watering etc etc. A short "break" while prepping my apartment for new tenants, then I need to get back out next week to finish the deer fence and gates, as well as starting all the trellis and anchor wires. Here are some photos of the last 6 weeks.

04-11-2013
Trellis Posts Finished
04-1101_zps0e9f18fe.jpg

04-18-2013
Augering Holes for Vines (120 total)
04-1801_zps852c6677.jpg

04-22-2013
Setting 4x4 Deer Fence Corner Posts
04-2201_zps47857821.jpg

04-25-2013
Vines Arrived - BIG difference between grafted and 1 year extra
04-2501_zps61b72fbe.jpg

04-26-2013

Staking bamboo and lines
04-2601_zps60e53e7e.jpg

Hard at work (my back was killing me by the end of the week)
04-2602_zps0056265b.jpg

My watering system. Don't like the idea of waiting for rain, and the well is too shallow to use water on site. So I fill at my house (240 gallons = 2,000 lbs! Can really feel that moving in the van, thankfully only 3 mile drive.
04-2603a_zps5eac0bce.jpg

04-27-2013
Grow Tubes Installed and Pic of planted Cayuga vine
04-2701_zpsa6bfc964.jpg

04-2702_zps21e8f175.jpg

04-2703_zpsfb0502a7.jpg

05-03-2013
Deer Fencing Temporary Install (to be unfolded upwards later)
05-0301_zpsaf4781bc.jpg

05-18-2013
3 week growth of Marquette and Cayuga
05-1801_zpsf21a82ac.jpg

05-1802_zps65cf5a7a.jpg

Oh yeh, definitely feel great. Haven't lost a pound, but haven't changed my diet either. I would love to do it in place of my 9-5 (and that's nights 9-5), but we'll see what happens.

I only planted 72 vines, but man it's still a lot of work! I like your pics. You have done an excellent job! We both have a lot of work to do. I look forward to more of your pics.

I just read your posts start to Finnish. I thought I had a lot of preliminary work!! You have been busy! I will be following your progress. You should be making some great wine!

Thanks a lot. Truly a work in progress and that first sip will be oh so sweet. The work comes in phases, but most of the hard back breaking labor is done.

Latest posts

Back