Green grapes growing in backyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mykasd

Junior
Reaction score
My parents have had a few Vines in their backyard since they moved in about 10 years ago. They produce firm, green grapes every year. I'm not sure what kind of grape they are. Can someone help identify them? Can these be used to make wine?

Attachments

• 15307197650636502803568100658915.jpg
    15307197650636502803568100658915.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 42
What part of the country (world) are these being grown in? What do they taste like? Do you have any idea of the chemistry (Brix/acid) of these grapes when ripe?

They are being grown in North Carolina. I've actually never tasted them because they're always too firm, they feel like fake grapes. I'm not sure when they are supposed to be ripe, most of the time when I go to their house and check them out they are always too firm.

If they are kind of large round grapes with tough thick skins, they are probably Muscadine grapes. They should taste delicious. The skins will be tougher than other table or wine grapes typically. Don't be afraid to use them. They will likely have a very grapey taste. Muscadine vines tend to be quite vigorous and can grow very long and produce abundant fruit.

Latest posts

Back