Green grapes don't know what kind yet.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a friend that has a bunch of grapes. A few hundred pounds easy. She makes jelly/jam and lets everyone pick all they want. She told me I can have them all if I want. Whenever I make wine I always give her a bottle to try. I can't wait till they get leaves this year so I can hopefully figure out what kind of grapes they are. I am excited. I do not have a crusher or a press yet but if I get a couple hundred pounds of grapes I guess I will need to. After I make my wine I will probably give her close to half. What is the norm for cases like this?

Is there anything I need to do now to prepare?

Yeah I doubt they are Pinot Gris or Palava but even table grapes can make some good wine. You can probably rent a crusher/destemmer and press from your local homebrew store. (A hand-cranked crusher will run you $450 and press also about $450) Note that you'll probably need at least 15lbs of grapes to yield a gallon of white wine, significantly more depending on the press efficiency.

You are also unlikely to identify the variety by the leaves anyway. You will be more likely to narrow down the options by cluster weight.

but even table grapes can make some good wine.

Sure. They can. But not knowing the type, it is an unknown.

So was rather commenting on not spending too much capital on equipment on the first try about an unknown. Especially when a crate can be the crusher/destemmer, and two buckets a press. They can work fine, and even cheaper than renting. And one may never need more. ;)

Latest posts

Back