green gage plums?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dkrmwiz

Reaction score
i recently stumbled upon this type of plum in a book, and was wondering if anyone had made wine with them. i'm in oklahoma, and so far i can't find where i could purchase a tree. does anyone have any ideas or maybe a place i could look. stark bros used to carry them, but they don't anymore. thanks for any help, and i hope this is in the right place.

thanks so much beano for finding this! that's a bit pricey for me at the moment, so i'm going to wait for next season to start with a smaller tree. it's only $19.95 for shipping to oklahoma, which is surprising as i was expecting a lot more.

i recently stumbled upon this type of plum in a book, and was wondering if anyone had made wine with them. i'm in oklahoma, and so far i can't find where i could purchase a tree. does anyone have any ideas or maybe a place i could look. stark bros used to carry them, but they don't anymore. thanks for any help, and i hope this is in the right place.
One Green World has the standard Green Gage, and a similar 'gage' type plum. Fedco also carries them, but ordering is over for the year until late fall.

thank you all for the help! none of these came up in a google search :( i was beginning to think i was going to have to ask my friend laurent who lives in lyon, france to eat some plums and send me the pits so i could get a tree that way. hard work, but also fun. i'm planning a spot for the tree, i will purchase one next fall or early spring. i'll probably put it near the wild sand plum and choke cherry.

Depending on where you are in Oklahoma you might want to look over the Maturity Chart at Adams Nursery. It provides estimates of ALL fruits and a lot of varieties of each. We now have 4 plum trees because the oldest blooms almost every year and gets nailed by a late frost so we have enjoyed less than a dozen plums in over 10 years (2 Planted in the last 3 years and one over 12 years old). The tree itself is the biggest fruit tree we have about 12-14 in diameter at the base but NO fruit.
From what I have learned European varieties - like Green Gage, tend to bloom later and therefore have a better chance of producing for those of us who get those late March to late April freezes.

Here is a downloadable PDF file link that will show a nice graphical chart: https://www.acnursery.com/doc/8/ACN-maturity-chart.pdf

Their European varieties: https://www.acnursery.com/fruit-trees/plum-trees/european

thank you so much for this info! i'll look it over this weekend when i have time. the wild sand plum tree has already bloomed and i'm worried. i live near tulsa, outside sapulpa. i didn't know that european trees tend to bloom later, this would be good for around here.

Been through Sapulpa many times when we refused to take the turnpike in the 70s (Cheap post-college years)
Here in Rogers, AR we get a late frost almost every year. I've had a tree loaded with pea sized plums - freeze - turn to little black things and drop.

Our average last frost date is 26 April - makes it tough. This year the current forecast has us with no freezes through the 19 so we are hoping. Then the battle with the birds, squirrels and deer begins.

In any case good luck finding some that will work for you. I even brought one back from California in our van and it's doing pretty good.

Our Blueberries are getting ready to bloom so it could be a good year.

Latest posts

Back