Green Apple Reisling off smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iridium

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently started a 1 gallon version of the green apple reisling kit from Master Vintner. I followed directions. However, it fermented to an SG of 1.000 instead of the 1.010 recommended. Additionally, it has a slightly rotten egg smell. I watched fermentation closely but it is likely that the kit stayed in primary for up to two days after primary appeared to be done. I have racked off the lees and into a carboy for bulk aging under airlock. The carboy is not completely full, but I have not yet added wine to top off.

Should I be worried about the smell and if so, what can I do about it? Should I add k-meta now or wait? Should I add win to top off and reduce air space in carboy?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

M

What is recently
Is there any bubbling in the air lock.
Are there bubbles creeping up the sides of the car boy.
If there is still active fermentation or even has co2 off gassing oxygen will be diluted and pushed out.
The smell my just be a yeast neutreant issue that given time will likely pass.
Keeping topped up is always best, but how much space are talking about.

No issue with the wine going to 1.000 - it was probably going to get there eventually. What you are smelling is likely just a little stress in the yeast. I would rack again, and top up.

Thank you for the help. I topped off and the smell appears to be lessening so that is a good sign. Now just need to let it age and degas.

Back