Greek varietals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marquettematt

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying to track down a source for Greek varietals here in the U.S. I've read some old post on other forums and I know they get grown here but I can't seems to find a commercial source for them. I anybody could help me out I'd definitely make it worth their time.

Thank you

I've read a few good articles on "foreign" grape varieties that might do well in my humidity, heat etc. and did a cursory search on the web for possible sources and pretty much found nothing. If you do come across something cool please post it. Good Luck!

If you have a really hot climate, Portuguese varietals may be the way to go. I've found out that the USDA has a ton of varietals but they only send them out for research purposes. That works for me as I'm interested in pollen for breeding but that doesn't help out someone who just wants to grow it.

If you ever get a chance to try a varietal called agiorgitiko a.k.a st. George. If it's under 3 yrs old, you'll never find a more full bodied red.

I checked that list out. They have a better selection of clones than graftedgrapevines. They have a varietal on there called St. George but its actually the rootstock rupestris St. George. Disappointing

Last edited:
I ask Novavine. They sell it as St. George. I plan on planting a few in the spring. Seems they are a disease prone variety but I have managed to keep Zinfandel alive and productive so I think I can give it a good go.

Back