Great Counter Top Idea

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
Today while I was waiting for some folks to join me at a semi-fast food restaurant, across from me was a counter with the soda fountain, coffee etc. There was a small hole in the counter for small trash from the coffee. Then it hit me.

I need to build another counter for bulk aging and making wine and I thought if I cut two 4 inch holes in the countertop maybe 2 feet apart and slightly forward, that I could run my siphoning tube thru it when I rack my wine. It would go thru the hole into an empty carboy already in the cabinet below.

I could open the door to see the carboy fill, then once full, airlock it and close the door. This would save me from having to pick it up afterwards. My other cabinets each hold 2 five gallon carboys and there's room for a three or 1 one gallon, plus the entire countertop holds many as well. The holes are small enough as not to weaken the counter so when not in use carboys could rest on or near the holes. It saves the back.

Whatta ya think? Was this a good use of my mind for maybe 5 minutes today or what?

A Friend had a wine cellar custom built. He kinda had the same idea but they had selves on the bottom that rolled out and back into the cabinet for accessing bottles. He could do the same thing for siphoning.

When I 1st started making wine I had a 4' bench with 2 levels set up this way with the holes in there for racking down. I also had a 3rd level above where Id start them and rack down from there using the primary spigot. I was very cramped for room and I had serious water problems in my basement then before i fixed it. I dont have a picture of my area then as it was not picture worthy but the water shooting out of my floor was! :)
Flood.jpg

Spring2.jpg

oh man, that's drainage problems for sure.

We live in the mountains and it's nearing spring....with rains on the way. We've removed everything from the basement floor that could be affected and the dehumidifier is standing in wait.

dj, when and if we build our next facility for our winery, we are going to have a primary on ground level and secondaries in the basement. let gravity be your friend!!

Latest posts

Back