Great computer forum for all my friends on this site

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously we all have comps. I have been going to here (pcworld) for quite some time and if any of you have any computer questions, I encourage you to stop by this site and ask your computer related questions. They may not have all the answers but I have literally "built" and "rebuilt" my system with their help and advice. It is a great group of people like all of you here in our wine forum, they will do anything to help with any questions you may have. Happy Happy to all.
www.forums.pcworld.com And while I am here I want to say thank you all again for all the help and advice that has been shared to me and our other members since I came across this wine forum.:) I hope we will all continue to learn and share.
Troy
(oh yeah I have -48F on my thermometer, does anyone care? :D)

A friend and I have are starting a PC repair company, we have probably rebuilt our PCs all at least 10x, We are always upgrading our Comps. We are all gamers, so we always need top performing machines. We all also do a lot of graphic arts, 3D modeling, Sound recording, etc.

I am in the possess of saving about $850-$950 to upgrade my Motherboard, CPU, Ram and video card. My current computer is worth about $2500. and right now on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, my computer is...I would say a 5.

I will only Build, I will never EVER buy a pre-built computer. Its to general, and cost too much. plus just like any pre-built Item, they are made to die someday, thats how they get business. Also its hard to upgrade a pre-built computer, it is designed to be that way. and on that scale I gave a $700 dell might look nice, but you will be buying a 3, you can build a 5 on the same amount of money. (my pc is 3 years old its current value is about $400) Buying part ar cheaper. If I were to buy a pre-built computer, with the parts I want in it. it would cost $3800 easy. and I am shooting for an 8.

Also every single part in my pc has a separate warranty and I have a lot of room to expand. IT doesn't come with a massive suite of programs That I will never use, because I get to choose what I put on it.

wow...I kinda just took off with that didn't I ROFL:D

Sampling, hugh?????LMFAO
Ican always be reached at [email protected], working on a sit to discuss some of these things
www.thefrugalalaskan.com (my current comp is built 150% from the dumpster!!)
hippie all the way, but now it's -51F, could care less about wine politics or love, just hoping to stay warm with a smile on my face, any members in here can beat -50F, you will win a prize.
troy
E mail me)

OK you nerds :D

My machine is a lean mean working machine.
it has 256MB memory !!!!
Indeed not 1Gb or 2Gb or 4Gb just 256 MB.

It has 400Gb harddisk though.

The processor is a mere Pentium 4 1.2Ghz.

Still I am building web-sites, blogging, playing video's,
burning CD and DVD, 'photoshopping' etc etc etc
all at a raging speed...........

The secret:
Use Linux

Luc

Pretty much what I'm running on this side of the pond Luc, don't have a huge HD but running only 512 RAM and the same size processor, as you said I do everything with it, you said the words, "a lean mean, working machine". I only brought up that site because I appreciate the helpfulness, expertise, and understanding they extend to newbies, the same as I have found here. I only hope I can learn as much here in regards to winemaking as I did there in terms of becoming a nerd instead of a newbie LOL!!!
Troy

I like the convenience of the laptop myself as I can post here and the other wine forums and still sit here with my wife and 2 kids and watch TV. I do have a desktop too with terrabytes of hardrive but the rest is ancient. I copy and burn all good rented DVDs onto my hardrives and then copy them. i love to watch good movies like Heartbreak Ridge over and over. Laptop is a Pentium dual processor with 1 gig of ram and 160 gig of HD, drdrw dual layer, nothing crazy, $479 last year on sale, I bought 2, one for me, one for my daughter.

I cant stand Laptops. I do like how convenient but that's about it. they are way overpriced and you can not upgrade the video, sound, screen, ports. just about the only thing you can up grade easy is the RAM. To me the price plus short term life makes it not worth it.

I am using a bit older stuff at the moment,

Gigabyte k8 Triton motherboard (GA-K8NF-9)
2 512mb DDR400 (this is outdated by to models, after this came DDR2, then now DDR3)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.01GHz single core, Socket 939*)
nVidia Geforce 7600Gt
3 hard drives 2x75Gb and one 500gb

939 was the first AMD socket that supported a dual core processor.

I am going to upgrade to

ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe AM2+/AM2
AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION Agena 2.6GHz (quad)
2x4gb (8gb) ram
nVidia Geforce 8800 GT.
and a 1TB Hard drive.

Latest posts

Back