Grapes in pots

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I’m generally new to growing grapes on a larger scale and have some questions for the growers here with more experience. I own a 36 acre farm in West Virginia and I am putting in apples and pears in the spring. I grow peaches, strawberries, and blueberries commercially down here in Florida where I live year round. So I am not new to agriculture in general but have never had a large scale grape operation going. I’m looking at purchasing some bare root grapes in the spring as well but I’m not sure I would have the time to properly construct trellises and get them completely set up. My first question is would the grapes do well in pots for up to a year? A lot of times I nursery new blueberries in 5 gallon pots so I have an abundance of them. I wouldn’t keep them in the pots for any longer than a year, possibly only three or four months. Everything in Florida keeps me busy until about May and then I would have a little more time to start building trellises and amending soil properly and what not. My next question is that if I did keep them in pots for a year down here in Florida, where I am is on the border of zone 8 and 9, would they do okay moving up to zone 6? I obviously wouldn’t get the chill hours necessary for fruiting but I don’t want fruit, I really just want a jump start on them growing up a bit more. And for a little bit more info I am planning on putting in an acre, maybe two, so it’s not like I’m trying to avoid just a little work, but somewhere between a backyard and commercial operation. Thanks for any advice anyone might have.

-Ted

I've kept vines in containers through the winter three different times. It worked out alright, but the container needs to be pretty good sized. I used protein tubs that they supplement cattle with, and then cut the tub off the rootball when I planted them. Moved them into the unheated garage over winter, and planted them in the spring. You must keep enough irrigation on them after planting though, as the roots aren't able to go deep like when planted in the vineyard. Of the three I did this to, they have all gone on to be productive and haven't had any problems with them.

. . . . the properly constructed trellis question
Year one I would have a post or rebar at each plant.
I had a trellis roughed out year two but didn’t get all of it together till year three.
My guess is you will push the plants back by replanting and having a confined container, they will survive as irrigated nursery stock but not root well.

One area winery “moved” their 5 year old demo vineyard when the township didn’t approve a tasting room/ sales area. Grapes are weeds and most will survive.

Latest posts

Back