Grapes in containers

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by askins3097, Aug 26, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Aug 26, 2018 #1

askins3097

askins3097

askins3097

Does or has anyone successfully grown grapes in containers? What about indoors? Is it worth the effort? I did find some info online that says they will grow well in greenhouses. I don’t have a greenhouse, but I have a bright, open foyer inside and some patio space outside, as well as some extra vines that aren’t planted. It kind of has the wheels turning but I wanted to hear some first hand experience before I spend money on a big decorative pot and waste time. I don’t really care about the fruit and I’m not trying to grow a bunch. It’d just be one or two for decoration.

2. Aug 26, 2018 #2

CK55

CK55

CK55

Banned

I would say they do not.

3. Aug 26, 2018 #3

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

It could be gone: But note that the size of the root system is mirrored in the vine that you see. So the size of the pot would dictate the size of the vine.

4. Aug 27, 2018 #4

marquettematt

marquettematt

marquettematt

I wouldn't just because of all the complications. It is possible. I've done indoor starts to plant outside but it was very rough and I didn't have much success.

CK55 likes this.
  5. Aug 31, 2018 #5

treesaver

treesaver

treesaver

wino

I have grown a verona plant in a protein tub this spring. and summer. Like you, it was an extra plant I didn't have room for. It has done better than all it's kin that were planted in the vineyard. After my spraying incident, I have lost quite a few vines, and now I have to figure out how to get the tub off and plant where I have lost my other vines. Not going to be easy to handle!

askins3097 likes this.
  6. Sep 16, 2018 #6

BenK

BenK

BenK

a lot of people do them in half barrels or similar. I tried it outside and it was killed either because the roots werent protected from cold (use a vine much hardier than your zone) because its above ground, or the spring blizzard we had killed it after it left dormancy. Not sure if Ill try it again in wisconsin.

7. Sep 16, 2018 #7

askins3097

askins3097

askins3097

Well I finally got around to cleaning up my mess from starting my vineyard this year. I had 10 extra vines that had roots coming out of the bottom of their nursery pots and desperately needed transplanted. I planted some along the old fence that borders the neighbors property, one in the flower bed that I’ll get an ornamental trellis for, and these 3 I put in old planters I found in my shed. 2 are Sabrevois, 1 is a Frontenac. We’ll see what happens with them all I guess. I don’t think they would of done well in their small 6” nursery pots much longer.

The potted vines will be an experiment. I’ll drag them inside my garage for the winter, along with all my cuttings that I started late. If I remember I’ll post an update next spring. IMG_1988.JPG IMG_1989.JPG

8. Sep 17, 2018 #8

Karl

Karl

Karl

Junior

To grow vines in a large planter would be tricky. Would have to still go through some type of dormancy period in a colder temperatures and the vines would probably have to be vinifera low vigor vines growing in poor soil. I am going to try this next spring using a soil composition of more than 50% sand, clay and potting soil the remainder so the vines don't over grow like they do in my yard (which is dirt/clay).

askins3097 likes this.
  9. Sep 25, 2018 #9

CK55

CK55

CK55

Banned

My vines are in sand. Which greatly limits vigor.