Grapes don't look right

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtstar

Reaction score
I have marquette and Frontenac gris grapes that started out looking great now it looks like the little grapes have fallen off there is a hairy brush there in it place have anyone else had this happen

1433897128548.jpg

1433897163189.jpg

Like most plants you have flower buds then the buds open and you have flowers then the flowers are fertilized and then make grapes. The bottle brush is the flowers blooming.

What you thought were grapes were the caps of the blooms. They drop off opening up the flower. Like dwhill40 says what you think are little brushes are the anthers (male pollen) part of the flower. They will last a few days and then about next week you will see little balls forming that will become the grapes.

Thanks everyone for the information I know you are right on this I am not worried now

What are guys out there using to take care of black rot on Marquette grapes

Mancozeb products are very effective for black rot. I use Manzate in mine. There is a 66 day to harvest limit for application though. You can switch to Captan then.

Latest posts

Back