Grapes by mail

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbo_c

Reaction score
Anybody used Grapesforwine(dot)com? Comments on quality or service? Prices seem pretty good. Thinking about ordering some for the fall.

Thanks.

Jbo

I saw that one. Seems mixed. Like maybe a couple of the pails were good and a couple weren’t frozen anymore(but maybe still OK). Was wondering if anybody else had tried. Didn’t realize that thread was as current as it is, so may be the only reference at this point.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Jbo

I cannot recommend these guys. I ordered a bucket of cabernet sauvignon from them this past spring. It consisted of shredded grapes, stems and leaves. It looked like they filled a bucket from the trash. I tried making wine from it anyway, but it tastes like stems and leaves.

Who else should someone on the east coast look to order buckets from? Thinking of moving up from kits myself.

Who else should someone on the east coast look to order buckets from? Thinking of moving up from kits myself.

Lot's of options in the northeast and mid-atlantic. Where are you located?

I'm in Richmond Virginia. Would love to be able to find something drivable to save the cross-country shipping.

It's a couple hours drive from Richmond, but several of us in the DC suburbs order through Washington Winemakers. Pickup is just a few minutes off I495.

I can recommend Brehm grapes, I've been buying from Peter for 20+ years. I'm near wine country so I pick up fresh grapes instead of frozen, but it's the same high quality fruit. The one time I made wine from frozen (since I was unable to get up to Sonoma when the grapes were ready, so they froze them for me) the resulting wine was indistinguishable from wines from fresh grapes.

You have to pay for it, but I doubt a home winemaker would be able to find fruit of this quality consistently from any other source. (Though I'd like to know about it if there is such a source, since having options is good!)

So naive question, when one gets grapes, have they been crushed? I've got a press and can test sugar, etc.

So naive question, when one gets grapes, have they been crushed? I've got a press and can test sugar, etc.

If you're buying frozen, they should be crushed and destemed. Otherwise, you're getting a 36lb box of whole grape clusters. If you do purchase from Washington Winemakers, they have a crusher/destemer available to use on pickup day. So you could just show up with buckets or Brutes and fill them there. Some of the local wineries may also offer crush/destem as an option. I know the Viognier that @mainshipfred and I bought last year was already crushed and destemmed when picked up.

Brehm frozen grapes are crushed. If you want to pick up fresh grapes from Brehm you can have them crushed and destemmed into your container at the pickup point (and take a % subtraction in the weight for stems) or you can take the whole grapes. If you take the whole grapes you need a grape transport permit from the state.

I cannot recommend these guys. I ordered a bucket of cabernet sauvignon from them this past spring. It consisted of shredded grapes, stems and leaves. It looked like they filled a bucket from the trash. I tried making wine from it anyway, but it tastes like stems and leaves.

We no longer use this particular vineyard located in Livermore and have switched to one closer to the center of the Ruby Hill region. New crusher/destemmer.

If you message us, we can send you a free bucket this year to validate the change. Sorry for your experience!

We no longer use this particular vineyard located in Livermore and have switched to one closer to the center of the Ruby Hill region. New crusher/destemmer.

If you message us, we can send you a free bucket this year to validate the change. Sorry for your experience!

I just received a bucket of Pinot noir grapes and upon inspection, looks like I was shiped already pressed grapes with stems and seeds. Pitched my yeast 3 days ago and have almost no juice— no cap yet fermentation is definitely happening. The quality of the must is subpar to that of winegrapesdirect.com and will be contacting you for a full refund.

Wow! I just got some frozen grape juice from grapemust.com. Well it wasn't frozen, the container was falling apart and I believe it started fermentation prior to me opening the package.. I dosed it with a health dose of meta, ad then 2 days later started to ferment with BDX and EC1118 combination. I was worried I might have over done it. I have reached out to the company three times yet no response. Needless to say never again.
The wine is moving along nicely at this point and I plan on racking it to a carboy in the next few days..

I’ve requested a refund and will never use them again- I can recommend winegrapesdirect.com - they are considerably more expensive but their grapes/packaging etc are exceptional. Like the saying goes, “you get what you pay for”.

Latest posts

Back