Grapes around North East Ohio area.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianvas12

Reaction score
Greetings - trying to prepare ahead for the fall season by finding a good winery around where I live.
I was wondering if anyone knows a good winery around Ohio; I tried several around Cleveland areas but not too much luck - too crowded and at picking time it was a 'carnage'
I am willing to drive the distance to neighboring states i.e. Pennsylvania or New York.
Basically, I need to find a good winery that will have quality grapes with correct sugar content, acidity etc.

Thanks in advance.
AV

I believe you will struggle buying grapes from local wineries. Most don't want to sell unless you have some kind of relationship with them. There are retailers of grapes though and someone in your area might be able to help. Don't forget about the Southern Hemisphere harvest in the spring though. There is a place in Chicago that sells frozen crushed grape must, I believe this is the link.

Good luck, BTW, they are very expensive.

https://www.brehmvineyards.com/

You might have trouble buying from wineries, but you shouldn't have trouble buying from the farmers.

I belong to a Midwest grape exchange listserv for the southern Midwest (covers MO, AR, IL, IA, KS, KY, NE, OK, TN). Listings are generally by the ton but there are some u-pick options and smaller volume options as well.

I believe you will struggle buying grapes from local wineries. Most don't want to sell unless you have some kind of relationship with them. There are retailers of grapes though and someone in your area might be able to help. Don't forget about the Southern Hemisphere harvest in the spring though. There is a place in Chicago that sells frozen crushed grape must, I believe this is the link.

Good luck, BTW, they are very expensive.

https://www.brehmvineyards.com/

Brehm is Chicago based?! Whouda thunk?

I assume OP meant ‘wineries’ as all encompassing wineries:vineyards. Might be easier finding a club that buys bulk (only clubs by me use same suppliers I already use- and no local grapes) than a willing vineyard. . tho this forum is riddled with many successful local grape deal stories. Might get lucky.
I contacted a couple of my local spots last year but had no luck. Hope you find success.

Last edited:
Brehm is Chicago based?! Whouda thunk?

I don’t believe that they are based in Chicago, but have a freezer facility there, in which they keep some must, though there is much more in the Cali facility. Probably send a full load there to stock the freezer, allowing them to ship more cost effectively from two different locales. When I buy from them, I buy from the stock in the Chicago facility, the shipping from there is lower to me.

I don’t believe that they are based in Chicago, but have a freezer facility there, in which they keep some must, though there is much more in the Cali facility. Probably send a full load there to stock the freezer, allowing them to ship more cost effectively from two different locales. When I buy from them, I buy from the stock in the Chicago facility, the shipping from there is lower to me.

You're right John, Chicago is a distribution location. I find them to be very expensive even excluding shipping. Is there quality that good?

You're right John, Chicago is a distribution location. I find them to be very expensive even excluding shipping. Is there quality that good?

In general, frozen must in 5 gallon pails is pricey, but been my only decent option, up until my Dallas run for fresh grapes. I’ve made some wonderful wine with the Brehm musts, theirs have been the best I’ve tried. The GrapeMasters musts from Spain have also been quite nice, as well as the Musto pails, but not a fan of the Chilean stuff.......

Greetings - trying to prepare ahead for the fall season by finding a good winery around where I live.
I was wondering if anyone knows a good winery around Ohio; I tried several around Cleveland areas but not too much luck - too crowded and at picking time it was a 'carnage'
I am willing to drive the distance to neighboring states i.e. Pennsylvania or New York.
Basically, I need to find a good winery that will have quality grapes with correct sugar content, acidity etc.

Thanks in advance.
AV

I am originally from the Cleveland area. Although I never used them I hear Collinwood Grape on Mandalay Ave. is a good source.

Latest posts

Back