Grapefruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Neil

Junior
Reaction score
I was gifted 90lb of red grapefruit. Anyone have a good recipe? If not I am just going to put in about about 30lb for 5 gallons, peel and cube them, add some nutrient and sugar to bring it up to 1.10 SG. Then let them sit with Pectic enzyme for a couple of days and pitch a champagne type yeast. Will add a little extra water if the PH is too low.

I was thinking of adding some of the peel zest but no idea how much. Thoughts?

I also have about 30lb of Bananas, so was considering a Banana/Grapefruit for some of them - but it seems an odd combination.

Suggestions welcome.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried it, but so you have a guideline

View attachment 88460
My personal favourite grapefruit recipe is ice, vodka, soda, and fresh squeezed grapefruit. I am sure you could sacrifice a few for a worthy cause!
I love that pamphlet! First collection of recipes I bought and still one of my favorites.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
I make a grapefruit/grape combo with store bought grapefruit juice. I used to use the Welches white grape concentrate for the grape juice but for my last batch I used a (really) cheap Sav Blanc kit (juice) Sav Blanc has that grapefruit notes. I think it will be a winner but it needs back sweetening. I'd also suggest saving the zest for other white wines that need a citrus kick. I freeze the zest for that purpose.

If you decide to go with a grape base, I'd suggest Sav Blanc.

Neil

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks for the hint.

I happen to have about 10 gallons of Sav Blanc finished wine, which I would not mind using some of as its not the families favorite.

Not sure how well a blend after fermentation would work compared to grape concentrate before, but worth an experiment - I think I may even had a gallon of Grapefruit from a few years ago that I threw together because we had some to use up.

Latest posts