Grape to blend with Norton?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deboard

Reaction score
I love Norton as it is, but it is definitely needs long term aging. So I had the thought that maybe a blend with another grape would yield a good wine that could be drank a little earlier.

The first grape that came to mind was grenache - low acid, low tannins, seems like a good fit to balance out the high acid, high tannin norton.

It would be nice to blend something hybrid like a corot noir, or noiret, just because they can be grown here more easily, but I don't know much about the profile of these.

Any other suggestions that come to mind?

I love Norton as it is, but it is definitely needs long term aging. So I had the thought that maybe a blend with another grape would yield a good wine that could be drank a little earlier.

The first grape that came to mind was grenache - low acid, low tannins, seems like a good fit to balance out the high acid, high tannin norton.

It would be nice to blend something hybrid like a corot noir, or noiret, just because they can be grown here more easily, but I don't know much about the profile of these.

Any other suggestions that come to mind?

I recently tasted a Chambourcin/Norton blend from a local vineyard that was very nice. Not sure what the ratios were.

A local vineyard a couple of years ago tried about 10% Merlot with Norton.

Back