Grape Supplier(s) in Maryland

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAB

Reaction score
Folks, my supplier, Harford Vineyard & Winery of Bel Air Maryland, has decided to not provide that service any longer. Does anyone have a known and good supplier in the Maryland, Northern Virginia or Southern Pennsylvania area that does supply grapes in the fall (and spring)?
Thanks,
DAB

If this is true than you are gonna start a whole lot of panic. You and about 20 other active WMT members are Harford loyals. I got a feeling there’s gonna be a whole lot of people scrambling around next month.
Gino Pintos in Hammonton, South Jersey basically has the same menu as Harford every year for spring and fall.
And Procacci Bros in S. Philly sells fall grapes first some first serve. No pre-orders
Good luck

Here is the email I received...

Click to view this email in a browser

Dear Winemaker, Customer, Friend,

We are sending this email for two reasons: first, to thank you for your business over the last twelve years and second, to let you know that after much deliberation, we will no longer be selling grape and juice to home wine makers. Many of you have been coming to the winery for years and have seen the amount of time and effort that we have put into becoming the small but growing business that we are today.

The last few years have been exciting for Harford Vineyard, building a new tasting room and transitioning from part-time to full time. We continue to work hard to produce quality wine and grow as a family owned business. As you can imagine, one of the problems associated with growing a business is continuing to provide our customers with the level of service they deserve. For that reason, we have had to make some very difficult decisions. Over the last several years grape/juice sales have been declining while the costs associated with operating the business have continued to grow.

As a result we have determined to stop grape/juice sales. We will continue to help with your wine making needs in any way we can. We are at the winery Thur-Mon 11-5 and are always happy to assist by answering any questions we can regarding your home wine making adventures.

The following items are on sale at greatly reduced pricing.

They can be picked up at the winery while supplies last:

Barrels

Recooped French Oak

• 10, 15, 20, & 30 gallon - $329.00 Each

Hungarian Oak

• 13.2 Gallon - $260.00
  • 26.4 Gallon - $300.00
  • 10.5 Gallon - $240.00

Marchisio Ratchet Wooden Press TR35 w/ painted metal basin

• 1 Used a few times (very good condition) $325.00
  • 1 New $375.00

Floor Corkers

• Grifo Green Floor Corker with brass jaws - $60.00
  • Marchisio Small Floor Corker with plastic jaws - $45.00

Misc Heat Seals (bags of 100) - $3.00

Thank you again for your support; it has been a great pleasure working with all of you over the years and we hope that you will continue to be a part of our evolving story.

Sincerely,

The Mooney Family

Kevin, Teresa, Brent & Garrett

wine-glasses-bttm.jpg

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please reply to this message with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or simply click on the following link: Unsubscribe

Harford Vineyard & Winery
1311 W. Jarrettsville RD
Forest Hill, Maryland 21050
US
Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy.

Just received an email stating the fact that they will no longer sell grapes or juice. Have been buying from them for years. Very unhappy to hear this news.

Bummer. Those recooped French barrels for $329 and the Hungarian barrels seem like great deals however!

There’s also Carrados in north jersey.

And keystone homebrew sell both spring and fall grapes. And 2 locations. One in Mongomerville, PA. And the other Bethlehem, PA.

Yikes, Keystone here I come, I guess! Hopefully someone will fill in the void a bit closer. It's so sad because they provided such great service, would bend over backwards for any request. Maybe they bent over a few too many times and we broke their backs?

I have some good friends who just moved to Schwenksville a couple of years ago. They look to be within a half an hour of the Montgomeryville location, so maybe I can stay there and break the trip up into two segments on different days.

Last edited:
Yikes, Keystone here I come, I guess! Hopefully someone will fill in the void a bit closer. It's so sad because they provided such great service, would bend over backwards for any request. Maybe they bent over a few too many times and we broke their backs?

I have some good friends who just moved to Schwenksville a couple of years ago. They look to be within a half an hour of the Montgomeryville location, so maybe I can stay there and break the trip up into two segments on different days.

If Schwenksville doesn't work out, you are always welcome here. Procacci Bros is 10 min from my house. Keystone is 40 min away. Gino Pint about 50 min. Hopefully none of them will pull the plug as well. Procacci and Gino's are only importers though, no winery involved.

If Schwenksville doesn't work out, you are always welcome here. Procacci Bros is 10 min from my house. Keystone is 40 min away. Gino Pint about 50 min. Hopefully none of them will pull the plug as well. Procacci and Gino's are only importers though, no winery involved.
Thank you for the invite, I really mean it. Both locations of Keystone and Procacci Bros are ~ 2hrs 10 minutes from me. It's gonna be a long day either way, so if my Schwenksville folk are out of town, I'll be-a-texting you! Anthony doesn't live all that far from you, right? We could always make it meat and greet at your place, I'll bring the steaks.

Edit: I'm noticing that Keystone is a tad bit higher ($10-20 per lug, depending on the source verses Harford) but Procacci seems very reasonable.

Last edited:
Another disappointed Harford customer here. Very upset, but I get it. Kevin mentioned to me last year that it was a lot of work and didn't bring in much money. I figured between that, and the fact that they are trying to process their own grapes at the same time this would be coming. I just didn't think it'd be this soon. I'm in N. VA and would really like something closer, but there don't appear to be many other good options. I just may be driving to Philly or S. Jersey now. Here's another thread w/ more details on some of the other options: https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/no-more-grapes-juice-from-harford.66035/

LMFAO at you guys whining about a long day and the drive to get grapes is like 2.5 hours one way..............LOL

Love it, Covina to Del Rey last year, 230 miles each way. In the snow, uphill both ways, barefoot with only a slice of stale bread and some muddy water ....... really though, out and back in about 8 hours with 24 lugs of grapes by 2:00 in the afternoon. Just like a regular days work.
Mike

Love it, Covina to Del Rey last year, 230 miles each way. In the snow, uphill both ways, barefoot with only a slice of stale bread and some muddy water ....... really though, out and back in about 8 hours with 24 lugs of grapes by 2:00 in the afternoon. Just like a regular days work.
Mike
Yeah, but your gas costs way less out there! :)

I like the uphill both ways "touch", something my Mom used on us all the time.

LMFAO at you guys whining about a long day and the drive to get grapes is like 2.5 hours one way..............LOL

Amen my traveling vagabond brother!!! You’d think somebody floated a turd in the only bowl of punch left on earth. I’ve gotten a pretty good improvement, my fresh grapes are now 5 hours away, each way, and I’m counting it as a blessing!!

Amen my traveling vagabond brother!!! You’d think somebody floated a turd in the only bowl of punch left on earth. I’ve gotten a pretty good improvement, my fresh grapes are now 5 hours away, each way, and I’m counting it as a blessing!!
Johnd, I don't like you as much anymore! :h

But seriously, you are watching a bunch of people who had it really good lose a good, cheap source of grapes meltdown. We didn't realize how good we had it until we lost our easy and reliable source. Hopefully we can be as resourceful as you and Mike have been and realize we still have quite a few good options, much closer than yours are. I'm also thinking of saving up and doing just a batch or two a year with that frozen must stuff you got, I think you said it's really high quality and worth the extra expense.

Johnd, I don't like you as much anymore! :h

But seriously, you are watching a bunch of people who had it really good lose a good, cheap source of grapes meltdown. We didn't realize how good we had it until we lost our easy and reliable source. Hopefully we can be as resourceful as you and Mike have been and realize we still have quite a few good options, much closer than yours are. I'm also thinking of saving up and doing just a batch or two a year with that frozen must stuff you got, I think you said it's really high quality and worth the extra expense.

The frozen stuff is good, but no better than the fresh grapes that can be had from the same place. If you’re close enough to get them or have a supplier, the fresh grape route is WAY cheaper!!

Back