Grape speicies

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
My grandfather grew grapes in his yard and he did make wine. However, I am not sure if he used these grapes for wine but they did not look like any vines that I have seen either here in the states or in Italy. His grapes grew on an overhead trellis, forming a natural roof to an open room. The grapes hung about 6-7 feet high. When you picked them you would squeeze the grape and the it would shoot in your mouth and you would be left with the skin in your hand. They were red sweet grapes. Does anyone know what kind of grape this is?

Sounds like you are possibly describing American slip skin grapes such as concord or Catawba. Both would be trellised high due to their downward growth habit. Both easily separate flesh from skins with a squeeze. Catawba are lighter, burgundy colored while concord are quite dark purple. I presume you are familiar with the way concord tastes. Catawba are quite fruity with more stone fruit expression, such as peaches and apricots.

It won't be easy to accurately identify the grape without more info, of course. And there are other less common red slip skin American varietals such as Steuben and Sheridan.

Would any of these American varietals be suitable for wine making

Latest posts

Back