Mosti Mondiale Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! The price has gone up from $20 a box. I was told they were Cabernet Sauvignon by a young lady I talked to at M&M but I have little confidence that they were. I used them once and I thought they were quite "watery" i.e. having a lot of juice rather than being the concentrated grape packs one receives in a kit. I made my own grape packs from Zinfandel grapes by stripping them from the bunches, crushing them in a pot with a potato masher and cooking out most of the water. They seemed to work very well and I made and froze 10 packs for about $46 weighing about 2.5 to 3 pounds each. The price works out to be just a little better and the quality of the pack was much better. They are all used up at this point and the wine is coming along very well. A little bit of work but I think well worth it.

If they were Cab Sauv. I would add them to this batch of blackberry mead I'm planning, but if they're Merlot, well, they won't bring the backbone... Hence the pondering..

Rocky and everyone, are you adding your grape packs to kits that already had a grape pack? or ones without?

Note in my case, Knockabout. I only add them to juice buckets. Also, I only buy red wine kits that come with a grape pack so there is no need to add anything else.

I just got an all grape pak, heres a picture of the bag inside the package. It has a lot of liquids in it, not at all like the jelly you get from other kits. Has some stems, skins, and seeds. Adding it to a Meglioli Nebbiolo kit I just got, looking forward to seeing how itturns out.

IMG_0624.jpg

So you saying you "passed" on the Passport Petit Verdot for this year? Seems like a perfect for a LR kit that didn't come with a grape pack for some reason!

Also, I only buy red wine kits that come with a grape pack so there is no need to add anything else.

Quick question: Is grapejuice.com the only place you can buy these? I was going to order but paused because the shipping is almost as much as the product. Makes each pack cost just shy of $40. Anyone know of less expensive shipping?

I used a whole pack in a cheap cab batch. It contains lots of liquid. I would say it is more like must pack than skin pack. The color is very light and even dilute the overall must color. little impact in sg.
doubt it made big difference to the batch and will not buy it again.

Latest posts

Back